It is currently Fri 6 Dec 2019 15:50 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Making the most of the Internet

Who's on Google+ and what do you think of it?

Here's where to discuss things such as how to deal with Spam, how to protect yourself from net nasties, and other Internet-related issues.

Who's on Google+ and what do you think of it?

Postby Kay » Sun 24 Jul 2011 14:10 GMT

I've yet to be convinced as I'm not a fan of 'social media'. But I've joined Google+ because I was invited to do so.

There's an interesting article about it here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14202981

What do you think? Are you a member?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Sun 24 Jul 2011 15:23 GMT

Looks interesting. Could you invite me, so that I'm ready to check it out when they open up again?
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Mon 25 Jul 2011 05:07 GMT

Yeah, sure I'll invite you - once I figure out how to do it. :P
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Mon 25 Jul 2011 23:18 GMT

From Google+ help (but note that they disable this some of the time - it's enabled for me at the moment so PM me your preferred email address if you'd like me to invite you):

Google+ is best when you use it with the people you care about most. And if they're not on yet, it's up to you to invite them!

The quickest way to invite someone is from the Invite people to join Google+ button:

On the side of the stream, click Invite people to join Google+.
Enter the email addresses of the people you'd like to invite.
Click Invite.
Note: You'll then have the option to add these people to your circles. Even if they decide not to join Google+, you can easily share with them via email.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby Kay » Tue 26 Jul 2011 08:49 GMT

Thanks, JJ. I'm still trying to get my head around the place - and trying to be in a 100 other places at the same time.

I'm not sure if I need an invite as I'm already a member (using my real name). Please link up with me if you can or perhaps suggest what I should do next if you have time. I've never really gone for all this social stuff: Twitter, FaceBook, etc. But this is new so perhaps I ought to get in on the ground floor.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue 26 Jul 2011 14:57 GMT

Thanks, JJ. I've managed to get myself signed up and will give the button a spin for you, Mike.

In the meantime, I've added Kay and JJ to my circle (edit: and Mike via email).
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Wed 27 Jul 2011 13:38 GMT

Thanks, Dave. Now I'll wait for Google to open the gates again.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Wed 27 Jul 2011 14:25 GMT

Mike, do you have a Google profile already? If not, you'll need one to be able to use Google+. And if you have, all you have to do is let us know how to find it.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Thu 28 Jul 2011 11:05 GMT

https://profiles.google.com/michael.kingdomhockings

Only thing in it at the moment is a link to my Picasa Web Album.
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Thu 28 Jul 2011 18:21 GMT

I've tried to "find" you with a search from my own profile, Ruggie, but you're nowhere to be found, even though I can clearly see you do have a profile. :?

Could it be a privacy setting thing, perhaps?
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Fri 29 Jul 2011 03:51 GMT

Another interesting article about G+ here:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/27/google-minus/

They're saying that interest has tailed off already - and Google+ isn't even out of beta yet.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Fri 29 Jul 2011 10:39 GMT

I can't help thinking that it's little more than a clone of FaceBook, albeit with the 'circles' feature that has long been asked for (so you can keep your work contacts separate from old friends separate from family). Everyone's posting in both FB and G+ and it's only a matter of time before someone comes up with an app that keeps both in sync so we end up reading everything twice.

There can only be one winner and Google has a lot of field to catch up.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby ruggie » Sat 30 Jul 2011 09:05 GMT

Dave: I may have tried 'disable Google Buzz'. Profil enow says 'visible in search' and I've filled in a couple of fields.
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Sat 30 Jul 2011 09:13 GMT

JJ: I know quite a few people who want the circles function for professional use. Are these users the ones that will produce revenue, or is the money with the family yakking users?

It's interesting to note that Apple's new release of Final Cut, a video editing app used by a lot of pros, has changed completely. It now looks like iMovie and is clearly aimed at the mass market. Pros are abandoning it, and competitors like Avid are offering cross-sell deals to move Final Cut Pro users over to their apps.
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Sat 30 Jul 2011 10:33 GMT

ruggie wrote:Dave: I may have tried 'disable Google Buzz'. Profil enow says 'visible in search' and I've filled in a couple of fields.

Still not finding you in a search, Mike. Maybe it's just me? :?
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Next

Return to Making the most of the Internet