It is currently Fri 15 Nov 2019 07:06 GMT
Change font size

Making the most of the Internet

What are apps? Useful article

Here's where to discuss things such as how to deal with Spam, how to protect yourself from net nasties, and other Internet-related issues.

What are apps? Useful article

Postby Kay » Thu 8 Mar 2012 07:07 GMT

I've been looking into mobile content recently and in the course of that I came across an interesting article about apps, which I thought might be worth sharing here. It's really aimed at newbies, but if you've been wondering what the hell apps are all about, then you could do worse that read this.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/31462/w ... l-are-apps
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Fri 9 Mar 2012 13:40 GMT

A good overview. What we really need, though, is guidelines about choosing between apps and websites, for those who want to reach a mobile audiences.

The obvious difference is that an app is a tie-in - a tool for existing fans, or to encourage people to become fans (regular customers, who consult you directly when they want something that you sell).
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 9 Mar 2012 18:43 GMT

There's also the point about whether mobile devices are getting smarter at being able to display websites in future. So, do you need to provide better "mobile content" on your website or do you just expect the user to have a smarter phone?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sat 10 Mar 2012 03:42 GMT

Good question.

Given the limitations of human eyesight, I'd expect phone-sized mobile devices to have to show selected parts of a website rather than the whole thing - there's only so much of a webpage you can display at once on a screen that size, and even with a touchscreen it's still annoying to have to drag a page around until you find the bit you want.

Ideally, you'd be able to configure the site so that users were able to get what they wanted without too much fuss, which would mean excluding stuff which slowed them down in getting it (although not of course excluding what you were trying to sell them). In practice, though, right now I think it's still largely a question of either creating a dedicated site (more time-consuming, and it takes the choice out of the user's hands entirely) or using stylesheets to hide content that's less suited to mobiles (quicker, but it means they're still downloading content that they don't actually get to see).
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Tue 13 Mar 2012 12:33 GMT

Adaptive websites are the new buzzword. Conventional sites, coming from a decade of production by graphics designers striving to achieve a printed page appearance that flies in the face of Berners-Lee's hypertext concept, generally cater for mobile devices by presenting a different view of the site according to browser type, which falls down badly with, say, the Android browser that has dozens of different screen sizes on the various Android devices, not to mention orientation. Adaptive websites, simply (hah - easy to say) adapt to the characteristics of the browser such as size and plugin support to present information in the order of importance in a flexible layout. The TfL website is an excellent example where they've realised that the real-time travel information is more likely to be accessed from mobile devices and the pages radically throw away or reposition the non-essential elements on smaller screens.

PC-Pro magazine is going to be focussing on it over the next few months, starting with this article: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/realworld/372841 ... web-design
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby Dave » Thu 15 Mar 2012 07:08 GMT

Thanks, JJ. What you're describing certainly sounds like the kind of thing I have in mind.

I've noticed that various UK newspapers have their own way of doing the same as TfL, some more successfully than others!

I liked the article too. I pretty much gave up on WYSIWYG almost as soon as I started using it because none of the programs I used seemed able to generate decent code. I have to admit I'm sceptical about the prospects for Xara as it's described, but maybe that's just the purist in me reacting viscerally.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Making the most of the Internet