It is currently Wed 24 Jul 2019 04:15 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Sports

England's next goalie?

Here's a forum to talk about sports. Enjoy!

England's next goalie?

Postby atoz » Mon 20 Oct 2003 14:43 GMT

Rumours are coming up again in the English press that Chelsea's 'keeper Carlo Cudicini, who has still not been capped by Italy (the fools), could take up UK citizenship in 8 months time and be eligible for England (and, presumably, Scotland, Wales and N Ireland).

Eriksson couldn't not pick him on the grounds that he's not REALLY English, could he...? Pot, kettle...obviously, so - it seems not beyond the realms of fantasy.

Anyone got any thoughts? Should he be allowed - should he be welcomed - should he have to leave Chelsea (boo, hiss) in order to qualify...?

Sorry - couldn't think of anything else interesting, and work is SO dull.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
atoz
Free member

Postby Rich » Mon 20 Oct 2003 15:36 GMT

I had heard that he had another couple of years to qualify (5 years total), but after that he would be free. In fairness, with the daft mistakes he's made so far, he's well on the way to be a legitimate successor to Seaman and James...

I think he should be allowed to qualify proividinghe doesn't try and take a short cut (i.e. marriage of convenience) - If he plays his time and is worthy of a place in any of the home nations sides, why not? It's been known before, after all.
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

www.britishexpat.com - News, humour and information for Brits worldwide!

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby atoz » Tue 21 Oct 2003 07:17 GMT

Not sure on the dates - but i read a lot of reports from last November (see, Kay - research...! ;-)) yesterday which said that it was 20 months from then... He has been here a few years, longer than i thought, anyway.

One to watch - a truly (usually) world class keeper. Course, if Kirkland's knee ever gets fixed, it won't matter...or they could call me up, I guess.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
atoz
Free member

Postby Rich » Tue 21 Oct 2003 08:41 GMT

Course, if Kirkland's knee ever gets fixed, it won't matter...or they could call me up, I guess.

With you, Kirkland and Robinson (and that young kid at Norwich), don't think England should have a keeper problem in the long run anyway. But Cudicini for Wales would be great. With our 2 "top class" keepers being Paul Jones and Crossley and both of them in their mid 30's, think we're going to need him!

And thinking about it, he has been there a while, as he started as back up to De Goey and barely played for 18mths, and then got rid of Bozzie which was a couple of years back, so this may even be his 5th season over here.
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby Dave » Fri 31 Oct 2003 17:22 GMT

atoz wrote:One to watch - a truly (usually) world class keeper. ...or they could call me up, I guess.

Never realised you were a keeper too, Atoz. Amazing. You think you know someone, then...
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby atoz » Fri 31 Oct 2003 17:38 GMT

Yup. Enjoyed much (moderate) success at University. But I moved clubs. Then my old central defender broke 3 of my ribs in the most unbelievable challenge anyone had ever seen. I made the University paper and was actually quite famous for a while. That night, my girlfriend (The Lovely Beth) was in the bar and someone random said "Did you hear about the football guy whose ribs were sticking out his back...?". Her response is unprintable (my ribs were still very much inside, just in bits, fyi).

Anyway, long story short - haven't played properly since (though kept wicket in the FCO/Commowealth Secretariat game at Blenheim to decent effect). FCO Private Offices team starting up soon though, and they've already made the call!
Posted by:
atoz
Free member

Postby hammersfan » Wed 12 May 2004 17:25 GMT

watch for stephen bywater, in a couple of years he be england's number one!
Posted by:
hammersfan
Free member

Postby Rich » Wed 12 May 2004 17:55 GMT

Not sure about regular #1, but i've been following him since he was quite young and he's definitely got the talent to be capped. Good luck to him (and the hammers of course) and i just hope he doesn't go the way Stuart Taylor is appearing to go - Brilliant as a kid etc, but now going downhill a bit after never really convincing in more than a couple of the (admittedly not that many) games he's had for Arsenal. The boy Stack they've got looks useful as well. Give it maybe 2 years and England should have 5 or 6 very good keepers, all of whom under 25, and that's even ignoring solid if not brilliant keepers who may finally make it like Wright and Hoult.

Btw, i'm actually quite scared how quickly my note from October...

With you, Kirkland and Robinson (and that young kid at Norwich),

...came true. All I need now is Atoz to be called in to the Euro 04 squad and i've proved the crystal ball works 8)

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Postby hammersfan » Thu 13 May 2004 16:54 GMT

i agree, the future for england goalies does look slightly rosier than it has done over the past few years, providing they all progress and are given the chance to perform regularly. i think the problem is (as it is throughout the game) that some much is at stake these days that managers are reluctant to go with untried keepers, preferring the older albeit european (or american) alternatives.
personally i'm glad that pards has given bywater a run in the team to help his confidence and so he can prove what he can do. (does need to work on his kicking though!)
Posted by:
hammersfan
Free member

Postby atoz » Wed 26 May 2004 14:08 GMT

Sven's got me on standby Rich.
Posted by:
atoz
Free member

Return to Sports