It is currently Sun 21 Jul 2019 16:49 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Sports

Tour de France

Here's a forum to talk about sports. Enjoy!

Do you follow the Tour de France?

I watch it live on TV or on the internet.
50%
I follow the daily results on TV, the net or in the papers.
13%
I may occasionaly come across a headline.
13%
Is Tim Henman winning?
No votes
Le Tour de France 2003? I prefer Le Château Plonk 2001.
No votes
No. I never liked the Frogs. And they didn't support us in Iraq.
13%
Other. (Let us know.)
13%

Total votes : 8

Tour de France

Postby Hajo » Sun 13 Jul 2003 08:41 GMT

I just noticed that we don't have a sports forum. I should consider myself lucky. Otherwise we'd be spammed with posts about this strange habbit where for one and more days eleven Englishmen gather with likeminded South Africans, Pakistanis or some other malis to slowly walk around a field and catch flies.

Well, it's that time of the year again. One of sport's annual mega events is currently staged on the slopes of the Alpes and the Pyrennees: the Tour de France, the toughest race in professional cycling.

Link: Le Tour de France

Just out of interest, do you Brits follow this absolutely non-British sport? (Whilst living in Britain, I was always surprised about the low number of bicycles on the road.)

Hajo 8)
Last edited by Hajo on Sat 19 Jul 2003 08:23 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Hajo
Free member

Postby HesitationKills » Sun 13 Jul 2003 09:53 GMT

I really liked the Channel 4 coverage, with Phil Ligget, when I lived in the UK but I think they stopped covering it a few of years ago. Seeing the peloton swallow up a breakaway is fantastic.

Can't work out why the US Postal Service became involved in this sport though, any ideas?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
HesitationKills
Free member

Postby Terry » Sun 13 Jul 2003 11:17 GMT

I too used to enjoy watching it on Channel 4. I was lucky enough to see it first hand when a leg was staged in the UK. I stood near the finish line in Southsea and I was totally gobsmacked at the speed they were travelling at.
Posted by:
Terry
Free member

Postby Rich » Sun 13 Jul 2003 11:55 GMT

yes, why the heck don't we have a sports forum?? Along with alcohol, it's the major thing in my life (just don't tell the missus or the boss).

I admit to being a major sports nut, but cycling is one of the top 2/3 for me. I started riding properly (but sort of by accident) when I was about 7, and got hooked. I was racing by the time i was 10, and competing internationally at about 13. I was fairly good, and knew exactly waht my limitations were. I'd love to have had the chance to see if I could have maybe gone pro, but I essentially retired from competitive racing at about 19 due to too many injuries/crashes and a body which just couldn't stand the rigours anyore. I have raced/riden with/against some of the top domestic riders, and some who pro's including a couple who are in this year's tour, so i pay a lot of attention to the season as a whole (and go to a number of races as a spectator), not just the tour.

I'm rambling now, but what the heck. Whilst I love the Tour, I think it's starting to hurt cycling, particularly in the past 10-15 years. Also, whilst the French realise that it is a big int'l event, this isn't always recognised in team selection etc. when small French teams often get/blackmail invites ahead of foreign teams who may play a large role in the tour outcome.

I also liked (and miss) the C4 coverage, as It was a great way for non-cycling buffs just to get a taster and get some interest. Personally i'm lucky enough to have Eurosport coverage, plus I watch web feeds/comentary, but I realise that it's mainly only cycling fans who will actually make that effort.

As for USPS, I think it started because they had an int'l parcels arm they wanted to get exposure for, and also raise public profile in the US after a large drop in mail due to advent of Email. And once they picked up Armstrong, the profile just shot up, because of him being the all american hero.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby Kay » Sun 13 Jul 2003 12:15 GMT

Interesting to discover your passion for cycling, Rich. We have a great mix of people on here. I was intrigued to find that one of our members is an ex-professional musician.

If there's a demand for a sports forum, there's no reason at all not to have one. It takes less than 5 minutes to set up a new board. Just let me know.

Kay :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby chabrenas » Sun 13 Jul 2003 14:42 GMT

I gave up ball games when I was 12 years old, and I always walked the last half of a 220. I was never a competitive cyclist, and I only went on one club run, but I'd ride until I fell over when I stopped at a crossroads. Most of the time, I cycled on my own or with one companion. Used to tailgate the bus to school for 4.5 miles (then fainted in the middle of assembly one hot summer morning) but was 'off games' on the excuse that I had never acclimatised to the weather. Games master went with this scam because he knew I was useless at ball games and running, and even worse in the gym (except on ropes and wallbars) but I did swim for him once - got cramp halfway through 100 metres freestyle in an unheated outdoor pool.

Used to do 200+ miles most weekends, and more than half that during the week - so imagine my chagrin when I, on a reasonbly good lightweight, could barely hang on behind a guy who passed me up a 2-mile 1-in-12 hill, riding a Raleigh Lenton with its 3-speed hub in top gear and a loaded saddlbag. Turned out that he was a rower in training.
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Squiffy » Sun 13 Jul 2003 21:44 GMT

Sports!

*yawn*

Need I say more? :twisted: :twisted:
Squiffy - Laugh for MS - : http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby CustomStrat » Mon 14 Jul 2003 02:20 GMT

So as not to give the impression that I dislike all things American...I actually do like baseball :wink:
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby HesitationKills » Fri 18 Jul 2003 18:01 GMT

I'm going to Kazakhstan next week so I expect to see some major coverage of the TDF whilst I'm there :o
Posted by:
HesitationKills
Free member

Postby Rich » Fri 18 Jul 2003 18:17 GMT

I'm going to Kazakhstan next week so I expect to see some major coverage of the TDF whilst I'm there

Sods law that Vino will have crashed out/been ill and out of any sort of contention by then, but still...
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby Purley » Sat 19 Jul 2003 01:06 GMT

Well - I am in Canada and I watch the TDF faithfully every morning and then often watch the replay in the evening. Its on OLN with Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen. Mind you - I don't know that many people here watch it but I find it one of the most exciting sports on TV and I always wait for it to come on again - just after Wimbledon is done!

I am not sure that Lance Armstrong is going to win this time.
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Rich » Sat 19 Jul 2003 13:22 GMT

I am not sure that Lance Armstrong is going to win this time.

He's not looked great, but i've a feeling he probably will win, although not be much. But I really hope he doesn't, because I don't think that it's good for the sport.
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Return to Sports