It is currently Sat 19 Oct 2019 14:59 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five alliterative questions – Quick Quiz
    Here are five questions with a common theme - the key word in all of them begins "b*mb". Why not bimble through them and see how many you can get right?

Sports

ice-hockey

Here's a forum to talk about sports. Enjoy!

ice-hockey

Postby wendy » Tue 30 Mar 2004 09:56 GMT

Hi, can anyone enlighten me on the rules, and how the whole game works? We have just started taking our 3 year old skating, getting him ready for living in canada. When we made recent visit he loved watching his cousins play hockey, the mooseheads local to halifax, and toronto mapleleafs are the best i,m supposed to believe!! :roll: I watched the calgary flames couple of times when i lived in calgary, but never got to learn anything about game. Apart from the obvious get the puck into eachothers goals, what are the rules, if any!! :roll:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
wendy
Free member

Postby Not-Lorna » Tue 30 Mar 2004 20:16 GMT

Rules? I thought it was all about depressing organ music and the Zamboni man! :roll:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Not-Lorna
Free member

Postby Purley » Tue 30 Mar 2004 23:14 GMT

Here is a link to the NHL Rule Book.

http://nhl.com/hockeyu/rulebook/?clk=001

Maybe Graeme knows about hockey. I personally hate it. There seems to be altogether too much violence; too many totally ridiculous parents living through their kids etc. etc. However, that being said, I am obviously in the minority because everybody and their dog plays hockey in Canada.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Graeme » Wed 31 Mar 2004 00:46 GMT

I could give you a full run down on the rules of ice hockey, but it's a bit like explaining cricket to a non brit, horribly complicated.
Best bet is to read the rules posted by Lizwill, then try to watch a game or two. The NHL playoffs are to start shortly, they will give lots of viewing pleasure and pointers on rules.
Essentially the idea is to get the puck, and score in the opponent's net. There are rules about passing over two lines, contact between players, face offs (sounds painful) etc. I don't think I could do justice to your question here and I'd encourage you to watch more games and try to pick it up there.
:)
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

hockey

Postby wendy » Wed 31 Mar 2004 14:21 GMT

Hi, thanks for the rule book lizwill, will take a look at that. Will have to get into watching more games, a bit hard in uk don't have many sports channels with ice hockey, thanks anyway. :D
Posted by:
wendy
Free member

Postby Rich » Wed 31 Mar 2004 14:58 GMT

Hi Wendy,

Been a couple of years since i was last living in UK, but somebody (i think 5) used to show British league games and also an hour NHL highlights package quite late at night, or rather, early morning. Not suggesting you stay up and watch them, but if you've got a video, you could record them and watch them at a more suitable time.

I agree with Graeme though, that trying to read the rules/have them explained is horrible! I knew the basics before i came here, but have got into it in a much bigger way as it's a national religion and almost unavoidable. After you've watched a few games, you tend to understand most of it (especially if you watch with someone who can explain when you have questions and shut up the rest of the time!) and if you can catch a game live, even better!

Good luck with it!
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

www.britishexpat.com - News, humour and information for Brits worldwide!

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby justajester » Mon 3 May 2004 16:42 GMT

Having watched hockey most of my life, I still don't know all the rules. What is important to know is that Toronto Maple Leafs are the best. :wink: The thing is to get the puck in the other team's net.and not let them get it in yours...everything else is unimportant. (unless you are watching with my spouse) .

One thing I found interesting was when Squiffy and family were here. We went to a local game and the younger child hadn't realized that the players are constantly changing...the players generally only play for a few minutes before they leave and someone else takes their place, but having only watched games on TV, it hadn't shown that bit. .. the cameras follow the puck, not usually specific players.

Poor Leafs had a terrible showing on the weekend... 6 to 1 loss to Philadelphia! :cry: *sigh*
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby leoville » Mon 3 May 2004 21:20 GMT

Not much of a best now are they? I can't stand the damn game, a bunch of girls running around on ice, give me soccer anyday ! How tacky does all that flag look on people's cars? Am sure the maple leafs ones will be coming down soonest.

Its funny how people that don't live in a certain or have no connection with the place, support that club, i guess its know as the MAN U effect !
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
leoville

Postby spainboy » Mon 3 May 2004 21:21 GMT

justajester2004 wrote:
Poor Leafs had a terrible showing on the weekend... 6 to 1 loss to Philadelphia! :cry: *sigh*

Is that broken nose's or teeth :shock:
Posted by:
spainboy
Free member

Postby herc2ules » Sun 23 May 2004 20:26 GMT

leoville wrote:I can't stand the damn game, a bunch of girls running around on ice, give me soccer anyday !

Ahhh....spoken like a proper footie hooligan. I laugh to myself as I read your words as I too once thought that way and now I realize how sadly deluded I was.

Liz, in the big games, such as the playoffs, it is common for players to be on the ice for 40 seconds. Anything longer than a minute is considered a "long shift". I remember thinking about a year ago
"40 seconds!! What a bunch of poncy girls........"
Let me tell you. Having now forced my ample body around a rink with a large blunt weapon in one hand chasing a little black thing and trying to stay up-right, I can attest that Ice Hockey is a hard game. Rarely have I panted and sweated so much in my life!! Its not a pretty sight.
And it doesn't get any easier. Now I have played a few times and I can skate better I am wiped out after an hour of hockey. Its really tough.

Saying that, with the exception of the playoffs I would rather watch snow melt than watch an NHL game. Give me soccer anyday.
Posted by:
herc2ules
Free member

Postby justajester » Sun 23 May 2004 21:39 GMT

So okay, my Leafs are gone for another year...now it's "go, Flames, go!" as Calgary is the only Canadian team left.
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Dave » Sat 29 May 2004 07:21 GMT

leoville and herc2ules wrote:Give me soccer anyday

Soccer? Is that anything like football? :twisted:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Purley » Sat 29 May 2004 18:11 GMT

Well, wonders will never cease! I watched a hockey game the other day. Actually, I was at my son's and he was watching the Stanley Cup playoffs between Tampa Bay (I had to think about that for a minute) and the Calgary Flames. He knows more about it than I certainly do and he was telling me that there are more Canadians on the US team than there are on the Canadian team!

Of course, everybody in Canada is rooting for the Flames but the trouble is that if they win probably there will be lots of broken shop windows and overturned cars in Calgary. I don't know why fans (and probably non-fans) have to go nuts like that. There is apparently a flamesgirls.com or some such site which has photos of girls lifting their tops and baring their bums after the last win! I suppose that is distinctly better than wrecking other people's property!
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby leoville » Sun 30 May 2004 02:17 GMT

That's a bit harsh, to call me a hooligan :roll: Just an arsenal fan that loves the game, and won't be seen dead rooting for some other team.

This is the thing, when toronto was still in it, people had flags on their cars and houses, and these are the same folks now rooting for the flames, how does that work? Its like an everton or spurs fan rooting for man u, can you imagine that?

It doesn't make sense, one iota.

herc2ules wrote:
leoville wrote:I can't stand the damn game, a bunch of girls running around on ice, give me soccer anyday !

Ahhh....spoken like a proper footie hooligan. I laugh to myself as I read your words as I too once thought that way and now I realize how sadly deluded I was.

Posted by:
leoville

Postby wendy » Sun 30 May 2004 06:40 GMT

As an Arsenal fan for the last nearly 22 years, i'm sure there are no hooligans amongst our fans!! :roll: I used to go to highbury and watch the arsenal, but now just armchair fan. Don't think will miss football when in nova scotia, sister in ns is a man u fan. Will try to get into ice-hockey as much as we can understand it. :?
Posted by:
wendy
Free member

Next

Return to Sports