It is currently Mon 18 Nov 2019 14:41 GMT
Change font size

Sports

Mr Em the Falling Horse

Here's a forum to talk about sports. Enjoy!

Mr Em the Falling Horse

Postby Dave » Tue 18 May 2004 12:39 GMT

Just heard that Steve Bruce has signed Emile Heskey for Birmingham for £6.25m.

I'm not sure how to feel about that. There's no doubt that Blues could do with a bit more firepower - they've never been great up front in all the time I've been following them. And it's nice to know that we will after all have a player going to Euro 2004, after Matthew Upson narrowly missed out yesterday. But £6¼m is a bit much to pay for that particular privilege. And given Heskey's strike rate, I really have to wonder whether we're going to get a Brucey bonus out of him - though Mr Em himself claims he hasn't been played as an out-and-out striker since his second season at Liverpool, and that's what Steve Bruce intends him to be.

We'll see. After all, "Bernard Cribbins" hasn't made many duff signings so far (OK, apart from Aliou Cissé :twisted: )

But if you'd like to see some pics of what others think about him, the Guardian website has some pretty unflattering ones!
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Tue 18 May 2004 15:10 GMT

To be honest, without the Guardian sports/football online (and free) life would not be up to much, and Mr Em the pantomime Horse and Bernard Cribbins are both perfect...

Think it's probably a good signing, depending on the finances - i heard orig that he would only cost 3mil down payment, the rest depending upon goals/blues success/int'l appearances. If so, it's a very good deal. He'll give blues something different up front, will be able to play up front as a proper striker and there won't be the same sort of pressure on him. If it's 6.25 up front, not sure, but could do worse.

I've always felt he's been a bit unlucky. True, he has some god awful moments, but he's not as bad as the media make out. He's big/strong/quick, and (for England especially) think he's the sort of person who would be great to bring on after 70mins to ruffle up tiring defenders. All he has to do now is work out that the ball is supposed to go IN the hole surrounded by the white posts as opposed to OUT of the hole, and he'll be great.

He is very much a confidence player and think Cribs is somebody who could probably keep it going in him longer than most.

Dave - no mention of Ferdinand Coly in the duff signings???? Clinton Morrison hasn't been all that wonderful either for the cash paid, but generally, yes, bernie has done OK in the market.

Word is that Izzett, Gronkjaer and Melchiot amongst others will all follow him in, which bodes well for next year
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

www.britishexpat.com - News, humour and information for Brits worldwide!

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby spainboy » Sun 13 Jun 2004 20:35 GMT

Emile Heskey :roll:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
spainboy
Free member

Postby Mike » Sun 13 Jun 2004 22:54 GMT

Rich wrote:(for England especially) think he's the sort of person who would be great to bring on after 70mins to ruffle up tiring defenders

Just noting the timing of spainboy's post.

:twisted: :twisted:

Yep, he ruffled up tiring defenders.

Slightly.

Frank Lampard could get a game in Scotland. Top First Division, maybe even bottom SPL.

As for the rest . . .

Apart from Zidane, France is really not that great a side. But then it doesn't take a great side to beat England.

That was the best three minutes of extra time I've ever watched :twisted: :twisted:

Mike
Glaikit. Bit nae sae glaikit as a gollach wi a blin ee.
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Kay » Sun 20 Jun 2004 08:12 GMT

That was the best three minutes of extra time I've ever watched

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby herc2ules » Sun 20 Jun 2004 14:52 GMT

As a mod I am seriously tempted to delete that post. But instead I will just give you "the look"

:x
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
herc2ules
Free member

Postby leoville » Sun 20 Jun 2004 15:59 GMT

Come on Arsenal, even with the squad we have now, we can still win the EPL again without spending :lol: :lol:
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
leoville

Postby spainboy » Sun 20 Jun 2004 20:56 GMT

herc2ules wrote:As a mod I am seriously tempted to delete that post. But instead I will just give you "the look"

:x

go on i had mine deleted just for a bit of scotish ribbing, they cant take it :evil:
Posted by:
spainboy
Free member

Postby Kay » Mon 21 Jun 2004 08:47 GMT

Spainboy, the post you refer to wasn't deleted. You and Si were asked to continue your discussion on the Opinions Politics board as it was way off-topic on the Spain board. Si subsequently replied to you there but the debate fizzled out. If you look, you'll see it's still there so feel free to rib the Scots to your heart's content. :twisted:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby spainboy » Mon 21 Jun 2004 10:44 GMT

Yes but , I posted a witty and inspired reply to Mike's "best 3 min's" jest ho! ho! :evil: On this thread but it's gone .

<walking away backwards ,bowing ,doffing cap>
Posted by:
spainboy
Free member

Postby Kay » Mon 21 Jun 2004 10:54 GMT

Oh, I didn't see that. Maybe one of the sports board moderators can throw some light on it or perhaps one of the other site admins - all of whom are English, except me. :?

[Edited: Aaaargh, sorry Rich, for a nano-second I forgot you are of course Welsh. :oops: ]
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Mon 21 Jun 2004 14:57 GMT

[Edited: Aaaargh, sorry Rich, for a nano-second I forgot you are of course Welsh. ]

Phew. I was almost going to have to find one of the sharpoened cue's i used to recive and return it...

Sorry Spainboy, but it wasn't me and seriously doubt it would be Si either, whilst of the 3 admins seemingly alive at the moment, if it wasn't Kay or Dave, that only leaves Alan, and Again, I doubt he'd do anything, and certainly without putting a note to say that it had gone.

Only things i can think of [fao: Kay] are that it was posted at about the time the plug was pulled and didn't get stored, or perhaps more likley, that the problem that occured before with lack of space and auto deleting at random has kicked in. Is that possible?

Yes but, I posted a witty and inspired reply to Mike's "best 3 min's" jest ho! ho! On this thread but it's gone .

Definitely the best sort of replies - keep them coming !
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

www.britishexpat.com - News, humour and information for Brits worldwide!

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby leoville » Mon 21 Jun 2004 19:28 GMT

Just reading the mirror online, and in it there was a story about how the Croats were going to give the Black English players a tough time. What I want to know is, why should that be an issue at all?

If you look back at football over the past how many years you want to go back, black players have always been part of the game, and play it just as well, if not better than others. Zidane ( world player of the year twice ) is an African, Ronaldo ( world player twice, of african origin ), George Weah ( no one hold the record that guy has, world, european, african player of the year, all in the same year ), Pele, et al

It's sad that some Idiots still find the need to taunt players of a different colour :roll: It was sad watching the Croats behave the way they did against France the other day, and I think countries that can't stop their fans doing that, should be banned, that might send a message to others !
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
leoville

Postby nooranismith » Tue 22 Jun 2004 06:22 GMT

Frankly, in such a situation (i.e. England v Croatia) I would have of course normally been waving the Croatian flag (it's a traditional thing for us Scots). If, as you say, their fans have a tendancy towards racism and bigotry, and it is the English ones that hold the behaviour and moral high ground I will give my wholehearted (if a slightly bitten lip) support to the auld enemy. There is no place for bigotry and hatred in what is a game. Sport should be a place for people to come together in friendship (if with a little good natured rivalry).
Posted by:
nooranismith
Free member

Postby leoville » Tue 22 Jun 2004 13:45 GMT

Good riddance to them anyway, they can go and do that chanting from home now :roll:
Posted by:
leoville

Next

Return to Sports