It is currently Wed 21 Aug 2019 18:36 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Sports

The footie season is here again !!!

Here's a forum to talk about sports. Enjoy!

The footie season is here again !!!

Postby leoville » Fri 6 Aug 2004 17:08 GMT

Hi there,

The footie is here again, and with the olympics starting as well, there is a lot to chat about. One to watch 2morrow:

West ham vs Leicester ! Any predictions for the nationwide and premiership eventual winners?
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
leoville

footie

Postby wendy » Sat 7 Aug 2004 07:03 GMT

ARSENAL will win premiership this season. :lol: West Ham will win 2-1 today. :D
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
wendy
Free member

Postby leoville » Sun 8 Aug 2004 19:58 GMT

A big congratulations to the gunners, the first trophy is in the bag. 3-1 at the millennium stadium against the foes up north :D :D
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
leoville

Postby Rich » Mon 9 Aug 2004 16:24 GMT

Chelsea, and more oddly, Sunderland.

Unfortunately Olympics is looking like it will turn into a druggy farce with people failing test L R and C and people will still be being stripped of medals in 10 years time. I hope not, but it's really begining to look that way.
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

www.britishexpat.com - News, humour and information for Brits worldwide!

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby leoville » Mon 9 Aug 2004 16:32 GMT

Don't make me laugh, or should that be cry? Chelski?
Posted by:
leoville

Postby Graeme » Tue 10 Aug 2004 03:44 GMT

I'd like to propose the Magpies (Newcastle) for the nationwide and Manchester U for the premiership. But I don't follow football and have no clue who plays for which team, so my opinion is worth squat.
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Tue 10 Aug 2004 14:27 GMT

Chelski? Yup, fraid so. I've just got a feeling that they'll take either the prem or Champ Lge, although probably not both.

Here's my logic:

Arsenal are by far the favourites, and can probably even cope if Vieira goes. However, I just think though that they are still only a Henry &/or Campbell injury away from possibly struggling a little - Kanu and Wiltord gone; Jeffers out by end of the week; Aliadiere injured which just leaves Reyes (great prospect, but more of a second forward) and Bergkamp (Again more of a second forward, and also not getting younger) up front, which looks light if Henry is out for a while, even allowing for Fredie, Pires and Van Persie scoring regularly from midfield.

They have some amazingly talented kids who i hope break through - Cesc and Senderoos in particular - but they need bedding in. They seem to have been luckier than most with injuries in the last couple of years (at most 1 or 2 out long term at any time), and are probably due a couple of serious one, just due to Murphy's law.

Man U have also got some great kids, but the squad seems to have too many ordinary or stagnated players, and until Rio's ban and the Olympics are over, they seem short handed. Newcastle have made 4 good signings but the defence still looks iffy (and with all those charecters that dressing room is just asking to implode) and the midfield is still unbalanced. Liverpool look short of depth - even before Murphy left and Owen looking likely to - although without injuries, they have a strong first team. All of the others can & will cause upsets, but probably not good enough to challenge over the whole season.

As for Chelsea, in reecent seasons the mainproblem they have had is playing against teams they should beat and everybody knows it. They team that should get beat have raised their game and Chelsea haven't coped. I just think that Mourinho is more of a man manager and clever enough to get his team working for games like that. On paper at least, they have great strength in depth and some decent signings even if all but Kezman of the newcomers have been ludicrously overpriced.

Having said all that, I do know that we (Pompey) don't really stand a chance of winning though :cry:
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby leoville » Tue 10 Aug 2004 15:33 GMT

West Brom striker Lee Hughes jailed for 6yrs for killing a man in a car accident, and fleeing the scene. At the time, he was driving a £100k mercedes and had just finished allegedly 6 bottles of whisky.

He had a £1m a year contract, which has now been torn up by the club. This guy should know better, he use to be a roofer playing non-league football until west brom signed him, they are now in the premiership, but he won't be joining them.

Some folks eh !
Posted by:
leoville

Postby Mike » Tue 10 Aug 2004 20:04 GMT

Oops! My mistake - I thought from the title of the thread this was about the UK footie season. :twisted:

Good luck to Shelbourne in their Champions League qualifier, and to Dunfermline in their Uefa trip to Iceland.

Elsewhere, I reckon Boston United could make the headlines this season :wink: or should that be :cry:

Mike
Glaikit. Bit nae sae glaikit as a gollach wi a blin ee.
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Re: The footie season is here again !!!

Postby herc2ules » Wed 11 Aug 2004 04:24 GMT

leoville wrote:The footie is here again

Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah!! Hurrah!!! Hurrah!!!!

I may have to get up bloody early in the morning but! Its worth it! Woo Hoo. Footy, footy, footy........

Si

PS: My wife is most pleased as well!! :twisted:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
herc2ules
Free member

Postby Aff » Fri 20 Aug 2004 07:58 GMT

Amen to the footy season starting. Games kick off in the middle of the night here in Oz but it's still more than worth it.
Having said all that, I do know that we (Pompey) don't really stand a chance of winning though

You're doing well already, you won 1-1 against us at FP last week!! Apparently, it was never a penalty although to be fair, I'm only going on what I've heard.

As for Chelski, I can see them doing something special this season and if not this season then next for definite. Newcastle are a team to watch too - for the opposite reason. They're set to lose Woodgate to Real Madrid for a huge 13m. Couple that with losing Shearer and Sir Bobby next season... Trouble me thinks.
Posted by:
Aff
Free member

Postby Rich » Fri 20 Aug 2004 10:50 GMT

Wouldn't say we were doing that well. Normally we win the first 2 to go top, and then not again until Xmas....

Woodgate is strange at the cost & with his troubles (injuries & other), but had heard a rumour - unfortunately my 2+2 together landed with Terry going to Real. Newcastle are certainly worth a look, and not even for any of the - very valid - points that you make. To me, that dressing room is just asking to blow up, and even if Woody goes, there's more than enough trouble makers around for things to go wrong.

Your a bluenose like Dave? Good luck to you - think cribbins has mad a number of decent signings and the squad finally has some depth to it, so you cold do very well. Whereabouts you from?

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Postby Aff » Fri 20 Aug 2004 18:21 GMT

I thought it was a strange price for Woodgate too. As you say, injuries etc - 13m is a hell of a gamble. I think Terry would've been far better value but it's not like Chelski would've been under pressure to sell him.

The trouble-makers at Newcastle, yes, for definite. I've never been sure about Kieron Dyer and while I'm a fan of his talents, his behaviour off the pitch leaves a lot to be desired. I've never liked Bellamy or Bowyer though.

I'm from northern Birmingham. Moved out here to Oz in January to be with my Aussie girlfriend. Our squad does look to have some depth to it and I was just listening to a footy phone in from home (got up at 3 AM to do so!) and all the Blues fans are excited as I've ever known them over this season.

Portsmouth... I've got a funny thing with you lot. Sometimes I really want you to do well since I don't like Southampton and other times I just see that bloke with the bell and just want you to get relegated :lol: I think you'll comfortably stay up this season BTW.
Posted by:
Aff
Free member

Postby Rich » Wed 25 Aug 2004 16:49 GMT

Hey Aff,

Have a feeling we'll stay up, but it will be skin of our teeth work again. We don't have a large squad, and whilst the people we've brought in are all interesting (cheers for Cisse for so cheap), not sure if the squad has really improved enough. We are over reliant on a few players, have a number of are purple patch type players (i.e. fantastic for 10 games, near useless the rest of the season) and i think that a few injuries or out of form men could see us in big trouble. You guys look good, although with essentially a new front 4 or 5, it may take time to gell.

We'll also have a hell of a problem with African Int'l games, although thank god we don't have a Cup of Nations this year.

A Northerner? Good stuff. Although Welsh, i grew up/went to school in Erdington/Sutton Coldfield area

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Return to Sports