It is currently Wed 19 Jun 2019 21:51 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Benin – Quick Quiz
    Try our Quick Quiz about Benin - known as Dahomey before 1975 and one of the most powerful kingdoms of pre-colonial West Africa.

Sports

Cloughie RIP

Here's a forum to talk about sports. Enjoy!

Cloughie RIP

Postby Dave » Tue 21 Sep 2004 02:27 GMT

Just wanted to pay my respects to Brian Clough, who sadly died on 20 September of stomach cancer.

Big-mouthed, controversial, even eccentric? Undoubtedly. But a great manager for all that, as he showed by taking Derby County from relative obscurity to the League Championship and to the verge of European Cup success - and then going all the way, twice, with Nottingham Forest. Even after his retirement he was still the occasional megaphone from the sidelines. English football won't be the same without him.

"For all his horses, knighthoods and championships, he hasn't got two of what I've got. And I don't mean balls!"
(Brian Clough on Sir Alex Ferguson's failure to win two successive European Cups)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby spainboy » Tue 21 Sep 2004 11:04 GMT

"I bet their dressing room will smell of garlic rather than liniment over the next few months." On the number of French players at Arsenal.

"I only ever hit Roy the once. He got up so I couldn't have hit him very hard." On dealing with Roy Keane.

"I want no epitaphs of profound history and all that type of thing. I contributed - I would hope they would say that, and I would hope somebody liked me,"
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
spainboy
Free member

Postby leoville » Tue 21 Sep 2004 12:10 GMT

RIP cloughy ! He was there to see the record broken, by no ther than Arsenal :D

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/tm ... _page.html
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
leoville

Postby spainboy » Thu 14 Oct 2004 23:19 GMT

True or not ,it's good

It's a cup tie, 10 minutes to go, Forest are down 1 - 0 and they've used all their subs. Worse, for once in his life Stuart "Psycho" Pearce comes off second best in a tackle.

The team physiologist shouts out to Cloughie ... "He cant go back on, he's taken a knock to the head, he doesn't know who he is."

To which Cloughie replies ...."Tell him he's f**king Pele and put him up front!"
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
spainboy
Free member

Postby Kay » Fri 15 Oct 2004 04:23 GMT

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant!
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Sports