It is currently Thu 20 Jun 2019 12:02 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Benin – Quick Quiz
    Try our Quick Quiz about Benin - known as Dahomey before 1975 and one of the most powerful kingdoms of pre-colonial West Africa.

Sports

So, Dave....

Here's a forum to talk about sports. Enjoy!

So, Dave....

Postby Rich » Tue 23 Nov 2004 19:36 GMT

.... How are you enjoying your new found fame from the Fiver...?

Fiver, 22nd Nov
"Just got back from a week-long break in Penang to find to my horror that, according to Friday's Fiver, David Dunn's suddenly gone back to Blackburn. Or is it just that he's played so few games for Birmingham
that you didn't notice he'd moved? Keep up the good work" - Dave
McMahon.

and of course, the standard response on the 23rd...

"Just got back from a 14-night cruise of the Carribean aboard a
five-star Norwegian Sea liner (we booked a double cabin - it was much
more comfortable) to find to my horror that people like Dave McMahon
[last week's Fiver letters] are needlessly telling us where they went
on holiday before pedantically pointing out some small editorial
mistake then adding a snide sarcastic comment. Keep up the good work"
- David Welch.
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

www.britishexpat.com - News, humour and information for Brits worldwide!

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby Dave » Wed 24 Nov 2004 04:56 GMT

Yeah, to be expected really :wink:

I'm afraid I fell slightly victim to the Fiver's editors there - I actually put the "Keep up the good work!" (complete with exclamation mark) in a separate paragraph. Including it in the main body of the letter does make it look rather sarky, which it wasn't intended to be.

(Of course, if I'd wanted to be really pedantic I could have pointed out that (a) it was in Monday's letters, not last week's; and (b) I wasn't on holiday, I was getting a new visa for Thailand. I can be extremely pedantic when I want to be, as Kay knows 8) )

And it wasn't that small a mistake if you're a Blues fan - after all, he was our record signing at the time :shock:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Wed 24 Nov 2004 11:14 GMT

Seems to me that this David Welch guy was just being plain nasty. Maybe he was jealous of Dave having a "holiday". :roll:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Mon 29 Nov 2004 18:57 GMT

Seems to me that this David Welch guy was just being plain nasty. Maybe he was jealous of Dave having a "holiday".

Let me guess, Kay. You've never read the Fiver or any of the Guardians miute by minute/over by over commentaries...?
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

www.britishexpat.com - News, humour and information for Brits worldwide!

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Return to Sports