It is currently Mon 23 Sep 2019 12:59 GMT
Change font size

Sports

Ow!!

Here's a forum to talk about sports. Enjoy!

Ow!!

Postby Dave » Tue 7 Dec 2004 17:48 GMT

Hear about Swiss club Servette's Paolo Diogo?

Jumping up to a perimeter fence to celebrate a team-mate's goal, he caught his wedding ring (he'd only been married for a couple of weeks) in the fence - then jumped back down, and both the ring and most of his finger came off. :shock:

As if that wasn't bad enough, the referee then booked him for excessive celebration. :shock: :shock:

I'm not kidding... here's the Grauniad's article.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Tue 7 Dec 2004 18:00 GMT

I've got no sympathy. In other sports you just score a goal and then get on with it. I don't know why football players seem to want to jump all over each other and go mental after a goal.

Is it because of the money they make?

It sure as heck isn't sporting.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Tue 22 Feb 2005 16:50 GMT

Is it because of the money they make

In a way, yes. They're professional entertainers, just like wrestlers, etc. They do whatever gets publicity for themselves. Didn't you notice Beckham's increase in publicity stunts after he married Victoria - already an accomplished professional self-image booster? You have to have the skill in your sport, but you need more than that to get rich.

Incidentally, shouldn't this board be called Sports Watching? Is there a demand for a board for people who actually practise their chosen sports, or are they an insignificant minority?
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Fri 11 Mar 2005 18:18 GMT

ruggie wrote:Is there a demand for a board for people who actually practise their chosen sports, or are they an insignificant minority?

Ermm... I have a feeling it's the latter, Ruggie :oops: I haven't played football in any shape or form for about the last eighteen months.

I beat Kay at snooker the week before last, though :twisted:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Fri 11 Mar 2005 18:35 GMT

I beat Kay at snooker the week before last, though

Well, yeah, but the table was cr@p. And the cue I had to use would've made a good boomerang. Gimme a break. Find a decent table and let me use my own cue and I'll soon sort you out. :twisted:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri 11 Mar 2005 18:40 GMT

Anything you say, Skip - how about the snooker hall on the fourth floor of the Mike Shopping Mall? Their tables looked pretty good to me...

Oh yes, I forgot - they don't allow smoking. :twisted:

Mind you, there's still the one next to the S.S.Sausage shop :lol:
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby SSue » Fri 11 Mar 2005 21:49 GMT

there's still the one next to the S.S.Sausage shop

I think you should steer well clear of that, we don't want you ending up as 'bangers'. :lol:

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Return to Sports