It is currently Mon 22 Jul 2019 16:08 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Sports

Premiership and Rugby World Cup....

Here's a forum to talk about sports. Enjoy!

Premiership and Rugby World Cup....

Postby bertie_wooster » Sat 19 Jul 2003 07:53 GMT

Just thought I'd add my two pence....

I'm in the US now and grown to love the NFL. The thing I like most (other than the sport itself) is that there seems to be a level playing field when it comes to finances and ability to aquire top players.

I wonder how much better the Prem (or any of the top European leagues for that matter) would be if there was at least some of that instituted...not saying the same system, but SOMEthing to even things out a bit and give clubs a chance to compete.

I dunno...it just seems ridiculous to me that every season there are only two teams (sometimes a longshot third) that have any realiastic chance at winning the Prem. Because they simply buy most of the best talent.
It's getting a little old. That's not sour grapes either...just an unbiased view on things....I don't even care if MY clubs wins it, just ANYone different!

As for the rugby World Cup in Oz, I reckon that the way they are looking England have a very legitimate chance to win the whole thing. Granted, oposition will be tough....but the lads are looking good. Any opinions?
Posted by:
bertie_wooster

Postby Rich » Sat 19 Jul 2003 13:28 GMT

I dunno...it just seems ridiculous to me that every season there are only two teams (sometimes a longshot third) that have any realiastic chance at winning the Prem. Because they simply buy most of the best talent. It's getting a little old. That's not sour grapes either...just an unbiased view on things....I don't even care if MY clubs wins it, just ANYone different!

I agree. I've always disliked Man Utd anyway, but I really hope that they and Arsenal both struggle to even make the top 3/4 - It needs some excitment / variety in it. Even in Italy where Juventus seem to win more or less regarless, it's come down to last game of the season on i think 5 in last 7 years, so there's something there.

I'm a football nut, and watch anything I can (incl. Prem) from whichever country live or on tv, but this is the first year the Prem has actually made a big difference to me (i'm a Portsmouth fan). I've often prefered to watch Spanish or German football than Premier at times in the past

And for the Rugby, England are looking V good, but i REALLY hope they don't win, because of the amount of stick I get (i'm Welsh). I think they will though, just don't underestimate home advantage in a tournament. England won what were essentially friendlies in OZ and NZ, and in the WC it will be different
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby Terry » Mon 21 Jul 2003 19:48 GMT

How did you get to be a Pompey fan? I used to live there, well Southsea actually, and I still follow their results. It was good to see them get into the Prem this season, however they will never replace the mighty Luton Town in my affections!

As for the rugby I can't wait for the WC to kick off, I'm hoping that England will manage to pull it off this time the sourthern hemisphere have dominated for too long.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Terry
Free member

Postby Rich » Mon 21 Jul 2003 20:11 GMT

Inherited. My father's from Gosport (yes, I know), and although he's not a big sports fan, he always looked out for Pompey's results. When i was at primary school, everybody else was either Villa (local team) or Liverpool (glory team at the time), plus the odd B'ham city, and I just wanted to be different I suppose!
Then a kid from portsmouth joined our class, i was really friendly with him and his dad took us to Wolves to see them. They were terrible, but I was hooked! I try and go when I can (was a season ticket man for a couple of years when living in Oxford), but it's harder now. Last year they we're on free tv here quite allot, but now it's prem, i'll be forced to go the pub to watch them... !

And I also want to see someone else win the WC except the big 3 southerners, although i'd love to see someone like Fiji or Argentina win, just to shake ithe sport up. Or anybody really, except England!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby Terry » Tue 22 Jul 2003 13:16 GMT

I think the team with the mosst realistic chance of breaking the big 3 monopoly in rugby is England.

I'm actually going to the official send off dinner at Twickenham in September which should be a good evening especially as all the drink is free all night!!

Rich, do you feel as though you've recovered from living in Gosport? Have you had to undergo much therapy?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Terry
Free member

Postby Rich » Tue 22 Jul 2003 13:33 GMT

I think the team with the mosst realistic chance of breaking the big 3 monopoly in rugby is England

Agreed. But it's England and i'm Welsh, so I sort of hope it won't happen. They do have by far the best chance though.

be a good evening especially as all the drink is free all night!!

:viol: :viol: :viol: Got any spare tickets?!

Have you had to undergo much therapy?

Let's be realistic here.
With Gosport and Aylesbury in my past, plus my mother now working in Basingstoke, and my Aunt also moving there (both from far away for some stupid reason), It explains a great deal really, doesn't it...
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

RWC

Postby bertie_wooster » Wed 23 Jul 2003 04:34 GMT

Yeah guys, I like England's chances. Trying not to set the hope too high, as I know it will be a tough WC to win. Rich - my two best mates are Welsh and Aussie, respectively, so I know what you mean about getting shite if England win. The three of us surely will lay down some kind of bet that dooms the losers to humiliation. Though the lads look sharp, I do not at all feel safe. I made what seemed like a very safe bet when Eng played Oz in the football friendly and found myself running round the apartment complex car park naked and singing Waltzing Matilda.

Revenge would be sweet.

I work with a lot of Americans....a few of them played rugby at Uni and are very excited that the US team qualified for the WC. always nice to see.
Posted by:
bertie_wooster

Postby Terry » Wed 23 Jul 2003 08:47 GMT

Well fortunately for me the only place I will be able to watch the games is an Irish bar in Köln, which means I am going to be surrounded by Irish, Welsh and Scots, they will gleefully accept any England loss. But any England win will be the reult of "boring, cynical, dirty, underhand........play"

Hey Rich, you are probably too young, but do you remember Friars in Aylesbury?
Posted by:
Terry
Free member

Postby Rich » Wed 23 Jul 2003 10:00 GMT

Friars in Aylesbury?

You mean the Friars shopping centre ?

Well fortunately for me the only place I will be able to watch the games is an Irish bar in Köln,

At least you have that possibility of watching. If i'm at home, i'm going to have travel to Malmö or København (90-120mins) to see anything live, or even highlights, unless they've come up with a different coverage agreement to the 6 nations. Will be spend most of my time/money on trains going to watch rugby methinks!
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Postby Terry » Wed 23 Jul 2003 10:33 GMT

You mean the Friars shopping centre ?

Nah, there used to be a civic centre called Friars (probably it was knocked down for the shopping centre) and they used to have a lot of live music there. I've got fond memories of that place.

Well fortunately for me the only place I will be able to watch the games is an Irish bar in Köln,

At least you have that possibility of watching.

It might kill my liver off though! By my reckoning the games are going to be early in the morning our time and so it will be a long day!
Posted by:
Terry
Free member

Postby Tim » Tue 5 Aug 2003 00:19 GMT

Back to soccer...

So now that Pompey are in the prem, and Southampton had their best season ever last year, what do you make of the prospects for the first ever south coast derbies in modern times?

I come from a little west of Southampton and remember as a schoolkid some pretty frightening encounters between Pompey and Saints! Well, tame stuff on the pitch, but frightening in the stands and outside the ground!!

The first ever match I watched was Leeds at the Dell, with Johnny Giles and Billy Bremner, and the Saints had Ron Davies, Wyn Davies, Jimmy Gabriel and big John McGrath (6'2", eyes of blue!!) defending with Eric Martin in goal.

Tim
Posted by:
Tim
Supporter

Postby Rich » Tue 5 Aug 2003 08:29 GMT

So now that Pompey are in the prem, and Southampton had their best season ever last year, what do you make of the prospects for the first ever south coast derbies in modern times?

Not quite the first since the dawn of time. We had them in the FAC about 5 years ago and promtly managed to roll over 3-0.

I'm certainly looking forward to them, if for no other reason than both teams play some good football and the added spice of a derby should just up the stakes even more. Soton have a decent squad and are carefully improving it. I've a feeling that the outcome will be equal. I think we'll win in Soton, but loose at home. But hopefully we'll destroy them twice!
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Postby Tim » Tue 5 Aug 2003 09:23 GMT

Since I support a team that's usually at the top (easy to do, I know, but it was painful in the 70s and early 80s, when I was there!), I hadn't considered the consequences for supporters of being promoted. Obviously Pompey fans will be excited about going up, and the club will hope that the success will attract a couple more supporters, but I guess the ticket prices will go up.

It's 10 years since I last went to a match and I think it cost £25. Somebody told me that Prem matches now cost about £45, rising to £55 when a glam team visits. I don't know what Div 1 prices would have been like, but I can imagine a lot of the old faithful supporters will find they can't afford to go week-in week-out now that Pompey have moved up.

T
Posted by:
Tim
Supporter

Return to Sports