It is currently Sun 24 Mar 2019 17:44 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Lá Fhéile Pádraig sona daoibh!
    Kay and Dave would like to wish all our readers with Irish connections a very happy St Patrick's Day!

Which area?

Where to live in NZ?

North Island or South Island? Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, or somewhere off the beaten track? So many choices... why not post here and discuss the options with others?

Where to live in NZ?

Postby cornerofsilence » Mon 18 Jul 2005 07:02 GMT

We live at present in Hamilton but would like to hear from other people around NZ.

My husband is a plumber and we would like a country life within 30 mins of a main town.

Any ideas please
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
cornerofsilence
Free member

where to live in NZ?

Postby kez » Wed 28 Sep 2005 17:21 GMT

It depends on what sort of country life you want.

Are you wanting a lifestyle type property?
What sort of land do you want? Sea views, lake, mountain etc?
Did you want to grow certain fruit/vegetables?

Have you checked out the Waikato region?
Posted by:
kez

Postby cornerofsilence » Wed 28 Sep 2005 18:38 GMT

Hi

Yes we have checked out the Waikato really well, but we would like to look at the other coast Hastings Napier etc the cliemate seems more to our liking. We are going over that way this week-end to have a look around.

regards
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
cornerofsilence
Free member

Postby Max » Tue 11 Oct 2005 06:55 GMT

Hi, Sorry cant help with where to live just looking for advice too.
I'm also a plumber, did you have any problems with your qualifications and getting registration?
Were in the UK, I do have a job offer, just filling in the EOA and gathering info.
Posted by:
Max
Free member

Postby cornerofsilence » Tue 11 Oct 2005 08:04 GMT

Where is your job offer?

regards

Susan
Posted by:
cornerofsilence
Free member

Postby Max » Tue 11 Oct 2005 10:14 GMT

Choice of two, Auckland (St Heliers) or Tauranga.
I'd prefere tauranga but the Auckland job offers a lot more money and working on new build top of the range houses.
Posted by:
Max
Free member

Postby cornerofsilence » Tue 11 Oct 2005 18:58 GMT

My husband has been a plumber for over 35 years. We have owned businesses all over the world but when we came to NZ his money was less than it was 25 years ago he started on $16 per hour and is now on $20 and that is with gas and air conditioning.

I do not find the cost of living here cheap at all. The lifestyle is much better than the UK.

I wish you the best.

Regards

Susan
Posted by:
cornerofsilence
Free member

Postby Max » Wed 12 Oct 2005 06:22 GMT

Lifestyle is the main reason for our move but untill we decide exactly what part of N Z we would like to settle in then I may as well make as much as I can.
I have been hearing that the registration process is very difficult, some first hand info would be welcome.
Posted by:
Max
Free member

Postby cornerofsilence » Wed 12 Oct 2005 06:50 GMT

We did not find it difficult if you have all the paper work you should not have a problem. You cannot work until you are registered and them it is only under a limited license until you take another lot of exams these are only done once a year in November.

My husband indentures were from the early 70's.

regards

Susan
Posted by:
cornerofsilence
Free member

Postby Max » Wed 12 Oct 2005 10:45 GMT

mine too 1975. Just about ready to send them off.
Posted by:
Max
Free member

Postby amykittin » Mon 5 Mar 2007 20:22 GMT

Hi, I'm new to this forum (and also NZ, I'm hoping my working holiday visa will be processed and approved before I turn 31 in April!)

Although I do have one or two friends who have moved out there (don't we all!) I will be going out there on my own. I've noticed from the posts that most people are going over as couples/families.

I will be looking around different places when I get there, but primarily there are two places that stand out. Around Auckland (where my friends are) or Wellington (where all the Government jobs are). Most of my work experience has been public sector administration and it seems a logical place to head.

Anyone any advice for a solo traveller looking for a chilled out place (I'm not a big partier - I prefer socials at friends houses with good food, bottle of wine and good chat) preferably with reasonably good public sector admin jobs? Like other people, I'm looking for an improvement on the British Climate ;O) but only as a secondary factor!

I won't be going out until August after my current project has finished.

Cheers, Amy
Posted by:
amykittin

Return to Which area?