It is currently Sun 24 Mar 2019 05:04 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Lá Fhéile Pádraig sona daoibh!
    Kay and Dave would like to wish all our readers with Irish connections a very happy St Patrick's Day!

Which area?

Wellington

North Island or South Island? Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, or somewhere off the beaten track? So many choices... why not post here and discuss the options with others?

Wellington

Postby dizzyb23 » Fri 11 Aug 2006 20:56 GMT

Hi
I'm new to the forum so apologies if i'm asking all the same questions as someone before me.
This site certainly appears more friendly than another expats site which has nothing but people moaning about how awful New Zealand is!!
Thats not useful to people like myself who are hoping to go out there and work for a year or two.
My question is: we are looking to move to wellington as I have to continue my pharmacy studies at the Open Polytechnic and there is a chance of a job at a hospital in Wellington. Are there any suburbs/areas in wellington that we are best steering well clear of??
Thanks for any help
Jules :)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
dizzyb23
Free member

Postby new2akld » Wed 8 Nov 2006 01:16 GMT

Hi Jules,
I'm guessing that you may have already received a few replies on this one but in case you haven't here are my five cents.

I'd recommend that you find a place which gets plenty of sun. Many houses in Wellington are built into hillsides, and there are plenty of people living in damp, cold houses.

Also, if you've not lived in NZ before, it's probably good to be aware that not many houses here have central heating, and many of the houses in Wellington in particular are wooden.

All of central Wellington (ie not the Hutt Valley) is fairly handy to the central city by bus, and everyone seems to use the public transport system. If you're going to be working at the hospital then there are likely to be a lot of different bus routes that you can use to get to work.

The hospital is located in Newtown, which is a fairly colourful suburb (which may suit you), and gets reasonably good sun. Other nearby, more 'upmarket' options include Mt Victoria (which is full of character villas, and gets good sun, but is closer to the central city), Brooklyn (up on top of a hill overlooking the city), and Island Bay (further south than the hospital, and right next to the south coast).

Good luck!
Posted by:
new2akld

Wellington

Postby dizzyb23 » Wed 8 Nov 2006 12:34 GMT

Hi New2akld
Thanks for your very useful reply. I appreciate your help. We will have a look around the areas you suggested when we go out to NZ on a visit in March.
When we do make the move (hopefully in June 2007), i'll probably be relying on the public transport system to get around. Am I right in saying that Metlink is the area's bus company or are there other operators??

Thanks
Jules
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
dizzyb23
Free member

Return to Which area?