It is currently Wed 18 Sep 2019 18:21 GMT
Change font size

Which area?

A new life for the family

North Island or South Island? Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, or somewhere off the beaten track? So many choices... why not post here and discuss the options with others?

A new life for the family

Postby woolfie » Mon 24 Sep 2007 14:09 GMT

We have slowly become disillusioned with life in the uk, house prices, schooling, transport network, pensions and the social moral decline of the uk society. It may seem that i am being dramatic, but i have two small children and a lovely wife who mean the world to me and i would like to provide them with a secure, fun future. I am about to visit EXPO New Zealand,(London, Oct 2007) to start the ball rolling with a moving to NZ. After reading these pages and numerous other web sites, i am a little uncertain if a life in NZ will give us the opportunity we are desperately seeking. We are seeking a friendlier society, a less stressful working environment, a more active and healthy life style for the whole family, especially for the kids. The move is based on a job offer working for a civil and structural engineering consultancy, based in auckland or wellington. We are looking for a challenge, something to spice our lifes up with the rewards that come from hard work. Any thoughts !!
Posted by:
woolfie

Postby banshigirl » Mon 24 Sep 2007 18:18 GMT

Hi Wolfie,

You seem to have the same incentives we have but unlike you we have no small children.

I have been scouring websites for the past week looking for answers to all the questions I have and I actually found some of the opinions on here detrimental!

The main concern I had was that I had heard a lot about how friendly the Kiwis are and after reading some of the posts I find that ex-pats struggle to make REAL friends!

I seriously hope I am wrong but I am still convinced this would be a great move for anyone!

If you do go then we are looking at Auckland might see you there!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
banshigirl
Free member

No regrets

Postby rad » Wed 3 Oct 2007 06:41 GMT

Hi guys,

I haven't posted for a while but since my last post we made the move and I have to say it's incredible here in New Zealand. My family and I love it here and would never move back to the U.K.

Kiwi's I have to say are the most friendly people I have ever met and I have travelled quite extensively. Our son was 7 when we emigrated and for us we were just as you, totally disillusioned with every aspect of New Zealand life. I now teach in Auckland we live half hour from either coast have a huge house and garden with the greatest of neighbours and we have our street barbecue coming up in a month or so.

Our son, who is now 8 joined the local rugby club and cricket club, I coach his rugby side and he loves it here. Kite fishing of a weekend catching fresh fish we'd never dreamed of and eating them the same day on a black volcanic beach by Waiuku.

The wife, she loves it too. She had a degree in England but now is enrolling on a one year Diploma in Teaching to become a fully qualified teacher here.

No question we will never go back. Maybe we were lucky but it really works for us. We've now got our New Zealand Huntaway puppy and she's great as our dog died unexpectedly in the U.K. five weeks before he was going to fly but the cat made it and she was thirteen.

My Mom and Dad have been over and will come over permanently when we can and will sponsor them Easter 2010 but will come over temporarily till then such as four months at Christmas.

It's hard guys, really hard but ask yourself this where will the U.K be in five then ten years time.

One tip, don't try and bring England with you. Yes it's a westernised country but England it ain't folks. Kiwi's are fiercely proud and rightly so, everything that is lacking in England.

Leave England where it is and if you are ready to come over don't try and change it.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers and good luck,

rad :wink:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
rad
Free member

Postby dusty » Fri 25 Apr 2008 09:26 GMT

Hi Rad,

I would like to thank you. What for do I hear you ask? I have read the posts on ‘ups and downs’ this morning and I have been left wondering if we are doing the right thing moving to NZ. Your post has lifted me again. We are wanting to move to the Wellington area, upper or lower Hutt. What part of Auckland are you in?
I have no idea if the area that we have picked is going to be the place for us. We have 2 teenagers aged 13 and 16. We want like many other disillusioned UK born people. A great place to bring up kids, not full of dirt, crime and many people who do what they want and get away with it. I am not under the illusion that NZ will be a breeze. I am aware that the areas, like with the UK, can make or break our dream.
Posted by:
dusty
Free member

Postby kevins » Sat 26 Apr 2008 00:01 GMT

Hi, Just to confirm what Rad has told you - we moved to New Zealand nearly 5 years ago now - my daughters are older, we originally moved to New Plymouth (where my sister in law lives) got a job with a local company - bought a house, tried to build a house - didn't happen - had lots of bad luck, but never gave up. We found the people where we were living thought of the English as rich and very showy ( we did meet a few of those!) of course not all of us sold big houses and came over with a million dollars, and we struggled against that prejudice. My eldest daughter is at Uni in Wellington and we loved the area, and found the people most friendly, we have now moved to Whitby, 30 minutes north of Wellington - and we love it, our neighbours are great, they are all Kiwi's. Having younger children will help - but if you can leave the UK behind you will have a chance. Try to not be a whingeing pom.
New Zealand is very beautiful, not crowded, and wild horses will never get me back to England.
Posted by:
kevins
Free member

Return to Which area?