It is currently Tue 31 Mar 2020 11:19 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Which area?

Which area?

North Island or South Island? Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, or somewhere off the beaten track? So many choices... why not post here and discuss the options with others?

Which area?

Postby EMO » Fri 17 Oct 2008 07:09 GMT

Hi all,

I am wanting some advice on regards to areas in NZ to live. The reason for this is because of health matters. I currently live in France (I am English - ex-Yorkshire lass) but since I moved to France I have developed asthma. I am ok when I go to England and when we have been on holiday to Corfu and the Dominican Republic I have had no symptoms. This is because the climate/weather in Brittany is very damp. It is very suprising how many people are effected here with (extra) health matters, and once they move, the symptoms go as well!!!???
Can anybody tell me which areas in NZ would be better for me to live and what type of climate the areas have please, as this is a big starting point for us so we can carry on our plans from there.

Thanks in advance. :mrgreen:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
EMO
Free member

Bay Of Plenty

Postby I am Jeff » Tue 4 Nov 2008 20:58 GMT

I've been here 4 years and this is what I have found personally.
Here in the Western Bay of Plenty around Tauranga - East Coast of the North Island- we had last year (I think) the most sunshine hours of any city (although I live 30 mins away it still counts!).
But don't be expecting endless sun, they may tell you the weather's perfect at the expo but it's not. No no.

There is a lot less general dampness though and although we get pretty much the same rainfall as England, it comes harder and over fewer days so I'd argue that the seasons are a bit more defined here. Not so much of that bleak, grey and generally depressing stuff.
No snow here in my area and if you have to scrape the ice off your car windscreen more than a couple of times in the winter you'd be surprised, even for us folk that live on the rural fringes.

Summer temperatures are usually in the high 20's but we don't often get over 30, still splendid weather for the beach. It tends to feel a couple of degrees hotter than it is - maybe it's that pesky lack of an ozone layer.

Last year the summer was long and consistently hot with little rain for a good couple of months but if your comparing it with your holidays in Corfu, it's nowhere near.
I've been to Corfu and a couple of other Greek Islands and if you want that kind of guaranteed heat and sun you really need to be looking at Australia - it's so green here in NZ because of all the rain. And taking last night as an example, halfway through spring, it bloody comes down hard!
Sunny day temps at the moment are about 20 deg, today it's low-teens with a right big old wind. And it's p"£$ing down!

I'm not best qualified to speak for other areas, but that's my opinion of the Bay of Plenty which has one of the better averages. Need to know anything specific, just ask.
But if rain is not your friend, steer very clear indeed of parts of the West Coast of the South Island.
Posted by:
I am Jeff

Postby welshjohn369 » Sun 11 Jan 2009 02:55 GMT

Not sure if you are still reading stuff here EMO but here goes.

I have lived in Northland for the past 6 years so will only comment on what I know.

In terms of climate, Northland has the warmest average temp for the year. It is sub tropical and is known as the winterless north. That said in some of the winter months the rain comes down in torrents, flooding is odds on every year in some areas. Summer on the other hand is wonderful although tricky for the weather men to predict as Northland is so close to both Tasman Sea ad Pacific Ocean. Most days the weather will show sun and clouds but for the most it will just be sun!! Good example today....supposed to rain here but 28 degree sunshine!

No dampness and grey days either, and ice is something you will find in a drink and no where else.

Lots of bush and pine etc up here so asthma must be well controlled. I have asthma and I survive ok.

Summer is quite odd in NZ as places you would expect to be the hottest aren't ! Alexander in the S Alps is usually the hottest, Nelson is known as the place with most sunshine. Wellington is known for its windy days.

Winter, well the further South the colder it gets.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
welshjohn369
Free member

Postby EMO » Sun 11 Jan 2009 12:43 GMT

Thanks everyone for your replies - I have, as well as reading your responces, been looking into different areas to go. I am looking into the Bay of Plenty as I want to carry on my studies in accounting. The Polytechnic in Tauranga is my aim.
There are a few things that have changed my aim as my hubby has shocked me by wanting a divorce :cry: . So I am going it alone - not an easy decission as the thought of being in a new place by myself is a bit scary. Any points I should be aware of - being alone and also on the polytechnic would be great. Also what is the social life like for an individual (not wanting to get romantic with anyone) I am an easy person to get on with and mix well with others. :lol:
Posted by:
EMO
Free member

Postby welshjohn369 » Mon 12 Jan 2009 05:15 GMT

I guess any woman alone are a little vulnerable and it is no different in NZ. I guess within the Poly there would be a huge opportunity to make friends. Not too sure about the social life in Tauranga, but I am 100% of the boy racer culture there which is a real pain. From my observations of the place there are also many retired persons there too. I guess caution is the word of the day.
Posted by:
welshjohn369
Free member

Which area?

Postby ruhi » Fri 13 Aug 2010 06:56 GMT

I think weather of [spam removed] will be good for you.If you prefer to stay in [spam removed],Then i can say there you will get opportunities for your career also.Also you will get all [spammy link removed] facilities there.
Posted by:
ruhi

Postby dancarrik » Fri 17 Dec 2010 00:53 GMT

it depends on many factors.. But northland is better option in my opinion.. Whangarei is the largest city up there.. Its nice small city with many peaceful beaches around. Hav a look at it. cheers..
Posted by:
dancarrik

Return to Which area?