It is currently Sat 19 Oct 2019 15:37 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five alliterative questions – Quick Quiz
    Here are five questions with a common theme - the key word in all of them begins "b*mb". Why not bimble through them and see how many you can get right?

Which area?

Invercargill

North Island or South Island? Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, or somewhere off the beaten track? So many choices... why not post here and discuss the options with others?

Invercargill

Postby Roynaldo » Wed 24 Jun 2009 12:00 GMT

Moving to Invercargill, South Island Sep 2009. Would be great to hear from any expats living in Invercargill and their experiences. Where to go, the weather, what are the beaches like, how cold the sea is!, decent bars, walking, cycling, water sports etc. Also any info in respect of breakfast and after school clubs including cost.

Had the visa approved yesterday, both got jobs in NZ, house sold, everything we own in a container somewhere and all very excited!

Look forward to hearing from you.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Roynaldo
Free member

Postby Toonster » Thu 25 Jun 2009 09:35 GMT

Congratulations! :D I'm afraid I can't help on the Invercargill front (still in UK - though have NZIS phone interview today, so we should be on our way shortly...) - hopefully someone who is around that area will come along and let you know :-)

Good luck with the move - sounds like you have everything completely in control!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby Roynaldo » Thu 25 Jun 2009 14:27 GMT

Thanks for your reply Toonster - hope all goes well with your phone interview. If it's with Tom Firth he's excellent and really helpful.

Where are you headed in NZ?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Roynaldo
Free member

Postby Toonster » Thu 25 Jun 2009 16:32 GMT

Bingo - that was him! :-) He was so nice, and it went really well (effectively, he said that he wasn't going to reject us, and he didn't think we'd be 'downgraded' to WTR, so we should get our PR by next week!)

We're hoping to head to Welly, but we don't have jobs sorted out yet (I work in IT Sales, and my husband is a data analyst) - next big step!

What are you going to be doing?
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby Roynaldo » Thu 25 Jun 2009 19:17 GMT

Glad it went well with Tom - i'm sure you'll be fine. We still can't quite believe it's finally happening!

My wife Amanda's a midwife and i'm a town planner. Amanda was offered employment at the beginning of the year after meeting Soutland Hospital at an emigration fair in London. And I just got lucky after trawling the Internet everyday. I recommend visiting a fair if u get the chance - Wellington City Council were at the last fair recruiting.

Anyway, all the very best with finding a job and with your new life!

We keep needing to pinch ourselves:-)
Posted by:
Roynaldo
Free member

Postby Toonster » Fri 26 Jun 2009 07:47 GMT

We went to a job fair when we were in Auckland last year, and my husband found a government department in Welly that are interested in his skills - we didn't want to start applications too early, though! I've found a rather nice company that is in the same lines as the one that I work for at the moment, and we've exchanged a few emails (though, as with everyone else I contacted, it was "come back when you've got a visa!")

I know what you mean about pinching yourself - I'm completely stunned that I've gone in three days from waiting and waiting to being on the last step before going!
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby Toonster » Sat 27 Jun 2009 16:12 GMT

Just wanted to sing Tom's praises - he got the decision made Friday afternoon, and called me so that I wasn't waiting all weekend to know that we'd got our full PR :D What a nice bloke...
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby Roynaldo » Sat 27 Jun 2009 17:12 GMT

Hey, congratulations! When u thinking of going?

We're just about to book the flights for Aug 30!

And you're right - Tom is a great advert for NZ on his own.
Posted by:
Roynaldo
Free member

Postby Dave » Sat 27 Jun 2009 18:56 GMT

Great news, Toonster!

Best of luck to you - and to you, Roynaldo. :D
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Toonster » Sat 27 Jun 2009 23:09 GMT

We're looking at November - time enough to get jobs, and my diary is already booked with "can't miss" things until early October (not least having recently bought tickets to see David Attenborough narrating Natures Great Events live with the BBC Concert Orchestra...) - hopefully before the plane tickets start getting stupid in anticipation of the Christmas rush.

Yes, Tom is great - I did a lot of enthusing about Welly, and it then turned out that that's where he's from, so I think I did the right thing in liking it ;-)

Cool on the end August tickets - hopefully the weather will be starting to get a bit warmer (have you packed the suitcase of woolen socks?)
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby Roynaldo » Thu 16 Jul 2009 18:49 GMT

Sorry for not replying Toonster! For whatever reason I wasn't notified of your response.

I know what u mean with the 'before I go list' - just not enough time to do everything. Another thing you'll experience is everytime you say goodbye to someone you wonder if it's the last time. Very strange!

Feel in limbo now - just can't wait to go!

Well, all the best for November - I hope all go's well.

We've got out Visa's now and the flights are booked for the 29th. I start work on the 14th Sept on the other side of the planet.

I'll let you know how it go's.

All the best.
Posted by:
Roynaldo
Free member

Postby Toonster » Fri 17 Jul 2009 07:55 GMT

Hey, no worries :-) Sometimes those notifications go astray...

I've just been to a big family party and only twigged when leaving that not only is that the last time that I'll see a large chunk of my family before I go, but in the case of my elderly great aunts, it is probably the last time that I will ever see them in person (they are both "silver surfers", so I'm sure I can persuade them onto Skype, but it's not the same!) :cry:

I know what you mean about limbo - I'm having issues with work (I'm sure just a little blip) in that something went majorly wrong with a piece of work that I was doing (someone else that I'd delegated to screwed up); normally, this is something that I would be really stressing about and upset - now, though, I really don't care! (a nice feeling not to have my blood pressure through the roof, but also a bit surreal...)

Good luck for those flights - which direction are you going?
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby Roynaldo » Sat 18 Jul 2009 18:39 GMT

Hi Toonster

Very emotional day yesterday - Amanda's graduation and last time she'll see most of her uni mates and the kids last day at school. It can only get easier from now on.

We're flying via LA - you get nearly double the kg allowance per person apparently. And we can say we've been to LA, well, for at least an hour and a half!

We know one more thing about Invercargill after this week's news - earthquakes!

Keeping our eye on the swine flu! Knowing our luck they'll ban international travel from the UK.
Posted by:
Roynaldo
Free member

Postby Toonster » Mon 20 Jul 2009 12:52 GMT

Oh, very tough. It does hit hard sometimes, doesn't it?

I did look at LA, but I have a big objection to giving my fingerprints and iris prints to the US Immigration authorities just for the priviledge of sitting in their departure lounge!

My hand luggage is going to be so interesting on the way out - I'm not trusting my oboe to the packers and definitely not to the airport staff; plus I've got a netbook which is not leaving my sight! They don't weigh hand luggage, do they, just as long as it fits in the box...

LOL at the earthquake - I've had so many people telling me that I'm mad for wanting to go to a country on a fault line - I'm really looking forward to feeling my first one!

It is going to be interesting to see what happens with Swine Flu when it really hits big time - I wonder whether they'll do a SARS type scan at the airport and stop anyone with an elevated temparature getting on the plane?
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby gozomark » Mon 20 Jul 2009 22:41 GMT

Toonster wrote: I wonder whether they'll do a SARS type scan at the airport and stop anyone with an elevated temparature getting on the plane?

BA and Virgin to stop suspected swine flu victims from flying
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/ju ... ays-virgin
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Next

Return to Which area?