It is currently Fri 3 Apr 2020 12:16 GMT
Change font size

Immigration, visas, residency, medicals

UK Visitor to NZ to work permit ?

Here's the place to discuss all the red tape, rules, and regulations - the hoops you have to jump through before getting to NZ.

UK Visitor to NZ to work permit ?

Postby Dede » Tue 18 Apr 2006 07:03 GMT

Hi all,

My partner (fully qualifed Chef with over 20 yrs experience) and I would like to settle in NZ - preferrably Wellington where we have a few friends. As UK citizens we don't need a visa for the first six months as visitors, however we would like to apply for work permits on arrival. Does anyone know how easy this would be ? we would then eventually seek residency. :?: We're both 41
Posted by:
Dede

Re: UK Visitor to NZ to work permit ?

Postby Dozzer » Sun 20 Aug 2006 16:14 GMT

anyone got some info on this ?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Dozzer
Free member

work permits and visas

Postby cath53539 » Tue 29 Aug 2006 11:08 GMT

At the risk of being accused of highjacking this posting, I too would greatly appreciate any info on application for a work visa after arriving as a visitor.
I'm a worried and overprotective mum who's 33yr old son is doing this in Nov. He had been planning to emigrate with his fiance for the last 3 years. They broke up a few months ago when she admitted she had never had any intention of emigrating. However, he refuses to give up his dream. He is planning to buy a return ticket as a visitor and find work when he gets there. He is too old to qualify for the working visa (18-30). Because he is unqualified, he can't find anyone to offer him a permanent job over the web. And without an offer of a permanent job he can't apply for a work permit from here. He is an experienced mental health community worker and has been told by some of the agencies in NZ they will be able to offer him work once he is there. But how long does it take to get a work permit? Weeks? Months? How easy is the process? I'm worried he may be setting himself up for more disappointment. Hubby and I are planning to emigrate too but through the proper channels. Son does not want to wait that long. Can anyone put my mind to rest?

CW
Posted by:
cath53539

Postby harlowfamily » Wed 30 Aug 2006 09:02 GMT

Hi there
We did exactly that - came out on visitor visas but I'd already set up interviews before I came. I didn't want to commit myself to applying for a work / residency visa until I'd visited the country to see if I'd like it. We ended up staying on an extended holiday until I could start work.
Officially you're not supposed to look for work without a visa and once I'd accepted a job I did have to wait several weeks before I could start work whilst waiting for a work visa. Once here a couple of years we applied for residency. It all worked out for us but it would be less stressful to sort out the paperwork before you come. We were on the verge of being kicked out of the country when our work visas expired and they'd changed the goal posts for my qualifications since arriving.
Good luck however you go about it but check your qualifications will entitle you to a work visa before applying.
Cheers
Alison
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
harlowfamily
Free member

Postby kpnuts » Mon 18 Dec 2006 19:32 GMT

Hi,
Ive just this minute joined the site and trying to find my way around it. I went out to NZ in January this year and fell in love with it, unfortunately like the other lady on the site talking about her son my partner after getting all excited decided he didnt have the courage to go for it and dumped me when I persisted in wanting to try and live out there.

I have no skills except in customer service and life and am looking at going out to NZ for a 3 weeks blitz the place re interviews when I get there and see what happens, am I going about it the right way? I have contacted a couple of interior design firms which say they will be happy to see me when I get there and am keen to get in with a big company, any advice would be gratefully recieved and also advice on areas also. Visited Christchurch as have firends there but also like the sound of the Bay of Pleny, where is the best place to locate re jobs?

Thanks in advance for any help and replies!! :D
Posted by:
kpnuts

Postby granny b » Sun 19 Aug 2007 16:05 GMT

having visited NZ 3 times and fallen in love with the place, plus our daughter and grandsons live there, we want to emigrate asap. I am a high level Government PA and my husband is a photographer. I see lots of jobs on the web but understand that no-one will offer me a job without an interview, so we are selling up and putting all our hopes in one basket, coming to NZ on a holiday, then hope to get a work permit to enable me to get a job. As my qualifications are some years old, I have recently got an NVQ Level 3 Supervisory level in Business Administration to show that I can do what I say I can do; we will get our police checks done before leaving and understand that we can get medicals once we are there. Has anyone else done it this way, doing the paperwork once in NZ. We will be financially quite well off so will pose no burden to NZ economy, and as well as working myself, my husband plans to support our daughter re childcare so that she can return to work part-time as well. Will this work, do you think?
Posted by:
granny b

Postby lordhackett » Sat 5 Jul 2008 00:10 GMT

Hi....I came out with my family in Dec 2006 on a 'holiday visa'. Now have residency. Quite a number of people opt for this route. I'm just so glad we 'went for it'
Posted by:
lordhackett

Return to Immigration, visas, residency, medicals