It is currently Mon 6 Apr 2020 06:05 GMT
Change font size

Immigration, visas, residency, medicals

Holiday-WorkToResidence-PermanentResidence

Here's the place to discuss all the red tape, rules, and regulations - the hoops you have to jump through before getting to NZ.

Holiday-WorkToResidence-PermanentResidence

Postby Dan_UK » Sat 24 May 2008 11:51 GMT

Me and my partner are intending to fly out to NZ in around 3 months time on a Holiday visa.

My partner's job is on the LTSSL as a Social Worker for 5 years and I've got experience in Audio Engineering for 7 years.

We're planning to obtain our doctor certificates and our police checks in UK , to have them at the ready, and then look for work in NZ while there on holiday.

Once a job offer has secured, our next step will be to apply for a Work to Residence visa and very shortly after apply for a Permanent Residency as to not let the medicals and police check expire their validity.

Has anyone here attempted to emmigrate to NZ this way?

Anyone know how long it would take to obtain the Work to Residence visa while in NZ on holiday?
Posted by:
Dan_UK

Re: Holiday-WorkToResidence-PermanentResidence

Postby Hendersona » Sat 23 May 2009 11:59 GMT

[quote removed by Site Admin. Please don't quote previous postings in their entirety - our Posting Guidelines explain why. Thanks. - Dave]

Hi Dan,

Myself and my husband are also planning kind of the same thing, we have just booked our flights for November, staying for a month travelling around checking out areas etc.. I am hoping to secure some interviews before I go out and then hopefuly by December have a job, which then we can apply for work to residence visa like yourselves. I haven't looked into how long the work to residence visa will take whilst you are in NZ as we are planning on coming back home to then submit for the visa. Let me know how you get on as if you are there when we fly out it would be good to see how you are doing! Good luck..
Posted by:
Hendersona

Postby Toonster » Wed 27 May 2009 11:23 GMT

Hiya!

Good luck with it - do make sure that the jobs you apply for fit the right criteria for the WTR visa (off the top of my head, they have to be on the LTSSL, and have to be paying over $55,000 p.a., and the company has to be able to prove that they have looked for NZ employees before offering you the job.)

It was something I thought about, but too many of the jobs that I looked at wouldn't even let me apply if I didn't have a visa in hand!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby Hendersona » Wed 27 May 2009 11:46 GMT

HI

Thanks for this, it is a great help! I am interested in the Corrections Department and have spoken with them directly. They advised that as they are in the employer sponsor list (I think it is called?!) they do recruit overseas and I should be ok to apply for WTR visa when I get a job offer. the thing is I read so many different things that confuse the whole matter so I am just thinking to apply and see where to go when get accepted?!? Do you know anything about the Sponsor Employer list and what the limitations may be on obtaining at WTR visa? Thanks again for your help, very much appreciated!!
Posted by:
Hendersona

Postby Toonster » Wed 27 May 2009 12:13 GMT

If your job offer isn't on the Long Term Skills Shortage List http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/ ... tm?level=3

then the employer needs to be on this list here:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/ ... rsList.htm

(and the Corrections Department are first on the list :-) )

The requirements for WTR are here:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/ ... iworkinnz/

Will keep my fingers crossed for your application!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby Hendersona » Wed 27 May 2009 14:57 GMT

Fab!! this is a great help, thank you sooooo much! Will keep you posted on how I get on!! fingers crossed! Thanks again for your help!
Posted by:
Hendersona

Return to Immigration, visas, residency, medicals