It is currently Wed 1 Apr 2020 12:34 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Immigration, visas, residency, medicals

Timing advice + visa types - residence or work to residence

Here's the place to discuss all the red tape, rules, and regulations - the hoops you have to jump through before getting to NZ.

Timing advice + visa types - residence or work to residence

Postby fourtythree » Thu 7 Aug 2008 17:50 GMT

Hello All;

Could anyone share their knowledge please...

We are planning to move to NZ Dec 2010 / Jan 2011 (basically in 2 and a bit years) on the skilled migrant visa. We have 165 points with no job offer.

1) Do you think we would be offered residency or perhaps work to residency visas?
2) When should we put in our EOI in order for the timings to be right?

We are keen to get things moving to feel like we are going towards our dream, but we are not able to leave earlier than those dates so don't want to miss the window....

Any advice gratefully appreciated!

Thanks!

:)
Posted by:
fourtythree

Postby Toonster » Fri 14 Nov 2008 12:04 GMT

Well - 165 points with no job offer will get you through the EOI pool very quickly, but from other sites, it looks like it would take about 6 months to get the paperwork for the ITA sorted out.

EDIT:
Editing this, as I thought of something else last night - if you go to http://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/ - either put in the points you have or just hit "Calculate" (bottom left), the next page it takes you to gives a link to the latest selection point for the Expressions of Interest - it will tell you how many Expressions of Interest were chosen, and what categories they fell in - on this page, it says:

"From 21 December 2005, selections from the pool are made on the following basis:
* Expressions of Interest that have total points of 140 or more are selected automatically "

So - as I said above, with 165 points, you should pretty much go straight in to the Invitation to Apply stage...
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby welshjohn369 » Sun 11 Jan 2009 05:12 GMT

Been in NZ 6 years now.

Six months is about the time you need to get all the paperwork done and medical etc.

I came over on a work to residency but if your employment will get you the points for residency quicker than the 2 years on a work to residency I would go for that.....have works with NZI. Some jobs will get you residency in 6 months (like mine had I known).
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
welshjohn369
Free member

Return to Immigration, visas, residency, medicals