It is currently Sat 24 Aug 2019 13:06 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Immigration, visas, residency, medicals

Details for the Medical Exam

Here's the place to discuss all the red tape, rules, and regulations - the hoops you have to jump through before getting to NZ.

Details for the Medical Exam

Postby Jimbo1974 » Tue 30 Dec 2008 19:17 GMT

Hi folks
First, let me wish you all a Happy New Year!
Myself and my family are just starting the process of making the move over to NZ. We have no firm plans as yet (flying by the seat of your pants is SO under-rated)
My question is, how thorough are the medical examinations?
We're not worried about our health in any way but would like to know what we are going to be put through.
I apologise if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it.

Thanks Jimbo
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Jimbo1974
Free member

Postby Dave » Wed 31 Dec 2008 03:06 GMT

Hi Jimbo

You may find the answers in the Immigration board (where I'm shifting your posting) - we treat questions relating to the immigration medical as part of the immigration requirements.

(I see that the board doesn't have a description which spells that out, as it does on our other country fora - I'll put that right now.)

:)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Jimbo1974 » Thu 1 Jan 2009 22:53 GMT

I have looked through the other section and I can't see any information about what sort of thing they do for the medical examination.
If anyone can shed any light on this, it would be appreaciated.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Jimbo1974
Free member

Postby Toonster » Wed 7 Jan 2009 13:29 GMT

I've not yet had my medical (got to get that sorted in the next couple of months as my ITA is due at the end of March, but as it only lasts for 3 months, I didn't want to get it done too early...!)

However, from what I can see, it is very thorough! Chest X-Ray, Urine and Blood tests, as well as checking vision, BMI, blood pressure etc.

The form that the doctor fills in is at:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rdonl ... 0/1007.pdf

A list of doctors who can do the exams is here:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/ ... tm?level=1

Not sure how much it will all cost, though - I'm not looking forward to that!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby welshjohn369 » Sun 11 Jan 2009 05:05 GMT

You will need a full medical from a NZ approved medical officer and you will need to pay for this. It does include a chest X-Ray, bloods, vision etc. I was athmatic but this did not exclude me.
Posted by:
welshjohn369
Free member

Postby Toonster » Sun 11 Jan 2009 22:25 GMT

You only get excluded from the X-ray is if you are under 15 or if you are pregnant - everyone else has to have them...
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby welshjohn369 » Mon 12 Jan 2009 03:10 GMT

You will need to have another medical when you apply for residency regardless which will include another x-ray. You also pay a $300 fee to allow people who enter NZ the opportunity the learn English! I was amazed and bloody angry at having to have everything done again!

If I need to have them done when I apply for citizenship I don't think I will bother.
Posted by:
welshjohn369
Free member

Return to Immigration, visas, residency, medicals