It is currently Tue 26 May 2020 21:16 GMT
Change font size

Immigration, visas, residency, medicals

Partnership Visa and access to Australia

Here's the place to discuss all the red tape, rules, and regulations - the hoops you have to jump through before getting to NZ.

Partnership Visa and access to Australia

Postby gemray » Sun 5 Apr 2009 00:08 GMT

I'm a Kiwi but my partner of 3+ years is English. We plan to settle in NZ and he is applying for residency through the Partnership Visa option. But we are thinking about spending a year in Australia between leaving London and settling in NZ. My question is - if my partner gets his NZ visa, does he need to enter NZ for a period of time to 'activate' his visa before we go to Australia? And is he then covered by the NZ/Aus entry laws, allowing him to stay in Australia like any other Kiwi or does he still have to apply for an Aus visa?

I suspect the Aus visa part of the question is beyond the scope of this forum, but if someone could help with the 'activating' the NZ visa side of it, I would be very grateful!

Thanks
Posted by:
gemray

Postby Dave » Sun 5 Apr 2009 02:43 GMT

Hi, and welcome.

If it turns out that no-one's able to help on the Aus part of your question on this forum, please do try on our Aus forum too.

Good luck!
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby gemray » Sun 5 Apr 2009 18:47 GMT

Thanks Dave, I've now chucked the question on the Aus forum too, just in case :)
Posted by:
gemray

Postby Toonster » Tue 7 Apr 2009 11:23 GMT

I can't help with the Australia part of it, but I think that there might be a requirement to stay for three months - however, I don't know if that is just for skilled migrant rather than partnership (and now that I delve into the Q&A on the INZ website, I can't see anything about it!) I know that the Skilled Migrant visa has to be activated by entry into NZ within 12 months of issue.
INZ are very good at answering questions if you want to drop them an email through their website.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Toonster

Return to Immigration, visas, residency, medicals