It is currently Tue 31 Mar 2020 11:08 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Immigration, visas, residency, medicals

Agents

Here's the place to discuss all the red tape, rules, and regulations - the hoops you have to jump through before getting to NZ.

Agents

Postby welshneil » Sun 12 Apr 2009 11:35 GMT

Hi Dusty, We are interested to know the agent you are using. As newbies ourselves we are not sure if we should use an agent or go it alone. Tried to pm you but it won't allow me as a new member :cry:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
welshneil
Free member

Postby Kay » Sun 12 Apr 2009 13:07 GMT

Hi Neil

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your move.

Re agents, please see:

http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/ ... hp?t=25263

Re PMs, please see the board at the top of the page entitled: IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING.

Thanks.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Toonster » Tue 14 Apr 2009 13:14 GMT

Hi Neil,

My husband and I are going it alone - we've just submitted our invitation to apply for a visa (now the long wait begins...)

There is so much information out there on the net, and in books, that I don't think that it is worth paying an agent multi-thousand pounds to do what you can do yourself. It might all look a little confusing, but it is actually really straightforward - the primary thing to do is to make sure that you are applying for the right visa (particularly if you are going for the Skilled Migrant one - use the online toolbox that INZ provide to make sure you have enough points), and then make sure that you can prove everything you say (i.e. I've had to remove one of the companies I was using to claim work experience points for because I had no way of proving that I worked there (the people that I worked for had moved on, and I had no contact details for references...))

If you've got any questions, then do reply to this post (I've got it set up so that it will email me if a reply is posted...) or post in the relevant board of the forum (so that Kay and Dave don't have to move it...) - I bounce on here every couple of days or so...

Good luck with the move!
Jo
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby welshneil » Wed 15 Apr 2009 14:17 GMT

Hi Jo,

Thanks for that reply. We should do it ourselves, easy and convenient for the agents at the end of the phone. I'm more than a fitter & turner now as I have worked my way up the ladder to more of a managerial level. At least my HNC Plant Engineering is recognised in NZ it's not everywhere. Helen my wife is a qualified Hairdresser but hasn't done her trade for 18 years although she starts a refresher in 2 weeks. She is a care assistant for elderly dementia patients. She was saying that the salon she worked in years ago, the lady died and the salon closed forcing her into mobile hairdressing but all that paperwork has since been destroyed. She has city & guilds in hairdressing, will she need to work in that trade on the expression of interest and visa forms or will the qualification proof be enough?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
welshneil
Free member

Postby Toonster » Wed 15 Apr 2009 19:59 GMT

Hmmm - really not sure on that. If your job and quals are also on the skills shortage list, it might be worth putting yourself as the primary applicant, and her as the secondary (you don't have to both apply for separate visas) - that way there won't be any need for them to look at her work experience (and how long it has been since she worked as a hairdresser ;-) ) She can still claim for the qualification.

This is how my husband and I have done it - we both have degrees, but my job reflects the ICT account manager role on the LTSSL, whereas John's data analyst role doesn't match anything - however, with myself as the primary, we still have 115 points without a job offer which was enough to get us through the EOI pool at the time...
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby welshneil » Thu 16 Apr 2009 20:11 GMT

Hi Jo,

Yeah great for that I would defo be the primary applicant so thats ok sounds a good idea
Posted by:
welshneil
Free member

Return to Immigration, visas, residency, medicals