It is currently Thu 2 Apr 2020 07:16 GMT
Change font size

Immigration, visas, residency, medicals

Wii our daughter have to go back.

Here's the place to discuss all the red tape, rules, and regulations - the hoops you have to jump through before getting to NZ.

Wii our daughter have to go back.

Postby loxley » Mon 27 Apr 2009 18:45 GMT

We have been in New Zealand for almost 3 years and had pr when we left the UK. About 18 months ago our daughter, husband and our now 2 years old grandson came over. The husband applied for ang got a work permit and started working, our daughter then applied and got hers, she has been working ever since. About 4 months ago they seperated and he went back to the UK. What is the situation with her work permit, does that make her stay here illegal ? and what steps do we take next to keep them here.
Posted by:
loxley

Postby Toonster » Tue 28 Apr 2009 11:46 GMT

Disclaimer - I am not an immigration advisor - just know my way around the NZIS website and where to cross match things...

If she got her work permit off of her own skills and experience (i.e. not as a partner of her husband), then it *should* be unaffected by the split. If her visa was got partially through his skills etc, then she will need to inform NZIS that they are not in a relationship any more. There should be t&cs with the visa which should make it clear.

If you want to sponsor her, then you will have had to have been in NZ with PR for three years before you start the application process.

If she has been working for 18 months, and she has a permanent job offer, then it is probably worth her applying for full blown PR in her own right - she should get pulled straight back out of the EOI pool (any application with a job offer goes straight to the top of the list), and it should be a relatively painless process...

Good luck!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby loxley » Tue 28 Apr 2009 18:19 GMT

Thanks for the reply Toonster, I was getting a bit lonely here.
She didn't get the visa off her own skills it was obtained though her husbands.
We will have had our PR for 3 years in June this year so that's not too far away to try that route. She has been working part time although most of the time working 40 hr weeks for over a year and her boss is very keen to keep her and I'm sure will do all he can to assist.
Posted by:
loxley

Postby Toonster » Wed 29 Apr 2009 08:36 GMT

In which case, she should really contact INZ to see what her status is - the one thing that she really doesn't want to happen is for them to decide that she is in NZ illegally, and then start proceedings to remove her (as that will then bar her from ever getting another visa!)
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Toonster

Return to Immigration, visas, residency, medicals