It is currently Thu 2 Apr 2020 06:58 GMT
Change font size

Immigration, visas, residency, medicals

Timescales for Retired Applicants

Here's the place to discuss all the red tape, rules, and regulations - the hoops you have to jump through before getting to NZ.

Timescales for Retired Applicants

Postby kiwikorner » Wed 26 Aug 2009 12:27 GMT

I am retired now and have an application in to join my daughter and family in Auckland. I received a confirmation letter from NZ Immigration which states that it can take up to two years for my application to be allocated to an immigration official for processing. This seems like a very long time, does anyone have any information on how long it is actually taking at present.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
kiwikorner
Free member

Postby Toonster » Thu 27 Aug 2009 11:56 GMT

Welcome to the forums! :D

Hmmm - I don't have experience of this myself, but indications from other people I have talked to have talked of a year's wait so far (they changed the rules recently), so it may be that the two years is correct :(
Living in Windy Welly!
Timescales for PR Application: EOI December 2008; ITA submitted April 2009; PR granted end June 2009.
All posts are my own opinion and not meant to offer any formal visa or emigration advice.
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby kiwikorner » Thu 27 Aug 2009 14:43 GMT

Thanks Toonster, looks as if i'm in for a long wait!!! :( . You say they recently changed the rules, do you know wher I could find a copy of them?.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
kiwikorner
Free member

Postby Toonster » Fri 28 Aug 2009 08:06 GMT

Hiya,

I've had a look through the NZIS website, and all I can find on it is this page:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branch/l ... gtimes.htm

It gives a bit of information on Sponsoring Parents near the bottom of the page - I hope it helps.

However, it does also say this on the page:
If an applicant chooses to travel to New Zealand visa free before a decision is made on their residence application, they will be granted a standard temporary permit with normal entitlements on arrival. They will then be expected to leave New Zealand once their permit expires. If the applicant is a national of the United Kingdom they can travel to New Zealand visa free for up to six months. An application may be made in New Zealand to extend that to a maximum of nine months. If an applicant chooses to travel visa free they will be required to hold a return ticket from New Zealand to a country where they have right of entry as well as evidence of funds to support themselves. Applicants are strongly advised not to overstay their visas as this may impact on the time it will take to decide their residence application.

Whilst I know that it eats into funds travelling back and forth, and it wouldn't mean that you could sell up in the UK and buy a house in NZ, it might be an option whilst you are waiting!
Living in Windy Welly!
Timescales for PR Application: EOI December 2008; ITA submitted April 2009; PR granted end June 2009.
All posts are my own opinion and not meant to offer any formal visa or emigration advice.
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby kiwikorner » Fri 28 Aug 2009 13:08 GMT

Hiya Toonster

Thanks very much again for the information.

Hope your move goes well and that you settle in at Windy Welly.

Derek :D
Posted by:
kiwikorner
Free member

Postby kiwikorner » Mon 28 Jun 2010 11:00 GMT

Just for information, received my Approval in Principle notification today. Just have to send in my passport for my residence visa. That's 15 months from the time my application was sent in.
Posted by:
kiwikorner
Free member

Postby Kay » Mon 28 Jun 2010 11:16 GMT

Many thanks for the feedback, Derek. That's useful information. :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Toonster » Mon 28 Jun 2010 20:03 GMT

Congratulations! Now the exciting stuff really starts! :D
Living in Windy Welly!
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby kiwikorner » Sun 17 Oct 2010 18:27 GMT

Thank's for the help and advice everyone. I fly out on Oct21 to take up my residency.
Posted by:
kiwikorner
Free member

Postby Dave » Mon 18 Oct 2010 00:44 GMT

Wow - really not long now, then! :-D Have a good journey, and I hope it all goes smoothly for you on arrival.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Toonster » Sat 23 Oct 2010 23:47 GMT

Only just caught up on this (it's been a busy week!) Hope you had a safe flight out and that the jet lag isn't hitting you too badly!

Welcome to NZ :D
Living in Windy Welly!
Posted by:
Toonster

Return to Immigration, visas, residency, medicals