It is currently Mon 30 Mar 2020 07:33 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Immigration, visas, residency, medicals

How to emmigrate at 57 yrs old

Here's the place to discuss all the red tape, rules, and regulations - the hoops you have to jump through before getting to NZ.

How to emmigrate at 57 yrs old

Postby asholina » Wed 4 Nov 2009 16:44 GMT

Hi everyone, Has anyone my age (57) emmigrated to New Zealand? And which visa did you get?

I want to work in Early Years Education and have lots of experience and qualifications.
Posted by:
asholina

Postby zeberdy » Sat 14 Nov 2009 19:09 GMT

Hi there
i am 55 and have just emigrated to NZ. I only got in because my wife is a Nurse and we got in via skill shortage.
My advice ?
don't come here unless you have stacks of cash its really expensive.
chances of getting a job a big fat none.
I am here and I cant even get a interview I would think long and hard before you catch that flight.
:?:
Posted by:
zeberdy

Postby Toonster » Fri 20 Nov 2009 08:17 GMT

Hiya,

I'm afraid that you are too old for the Skilled Migrant's Visa :-(
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/live/ has the list of the different ways of emigrating to NZ.

If you have money or a business to transfer, then you could consider an investment visa or entrepreneur one:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/ ... efault.htm

But otherwise, I'm afraid, it doesn't look like you will be able to get more than a holiday visa :-( There was talk of bringing in a retirement one, but I don't know how long that will take to get off the ground, or if it was only talk for the elections last year...

Sorry!
Living in Windy Welly!
Timescales for PR Application: EOI December 2008; ITA submitted April 2009; PR granted end June 2009.
All posts are my own opinion and not meant to offer any formal visa or emigration advice.
Posted by:
Toonster

Re: 57

Postby Zootalaws » Mon 23 Nov 2009 18:51 GMT

zeberdy wrote:don't come here unless you have stacks of cash its really expensive.
chances of getting a job a big fat none.
I am here and I cant even get a interview I would think long and hard before you catch that flight.

Maybe you should have thought more before you emigrated in the middle of a world-wide recession?

As to it being 'really expensive' - it's all relative. If you want to buy a property in central Auckland or Wellington, think of similar prices in London, Edinburgh, Cardiff or Dublin.

Prices are comparative with other countries that have a large land area and small population.

Not another whinging Pom? I thought we weeded you lot out.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Zootalaws
Free member

Postby kiwikorner » Tue 24 Nov 2009 10:30 GMT

Don,t take too much notice of Zeberdy,s comments. I have made several trips out there and find it comparable to UK, in many ways cheaper. Remember we are in the middle of a worldwide recesion.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
kiwikorner
Free member

Return to Immigration, visas, residency, medicals