It is currently Fri 3 Apr 2020 11:40 GMT
Change font size

Immigration, visas, residency, medicals

After two years?

Here's the place to discuss all the red tape, rules, and regulations - the hoops you have to jump through before getting to NZ.

After two years?

Postby tonyhavens » Sat 14 Nov 2009 23:04 GMT

Hi - delighted to say we have just received our two year residency permits. However, my wifes Mum is getting old (and two Aunties have just died), and after two years here she wants to return home and live there for a few years (she also has lots of brothers/sisters). Will we be able to keep our NZ residency? any advise appreciated...
Posted by:
tonyhavens

Postby Toonster » Fri 20 Nov 2009 08:11 GMT

Hiya,
What sort of visas are you here on? Is it skilled migrant? And is it your indefinite returning residency visas that you have received? If so, then you should be able to come and go as you please
(http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/ ... efault.htm)
However, if you are in any doubt, then check with Immigration NZ before you leave - better to find out now than to have problems when you try to come back!

ETA - congrats on your permits :-)
Living in Windy Welly!
Timescales for PR Application: EOI December 2008; ITA submitted April 2009; PR granted end June 2009.
All posts are my own opinion and not meant to offer any formal visa or emigration advice.
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby tonyhavens » Fri 20 Nov 2009 08:24 GMT

Hi Toonster - I worded my question clumsily. I have an Aussie passport so I am considered a permanent resident. My wife is Portuguese and my kids are on UK passports. My family have just received their two year (1st) residency permits, so I guess we will only qualify for PR after two years continuous residency and then apply for indefinite return visas... It took 14 months to work our way to the head of the line to get our residency Visas - it would have been faster to apply from outside the country, we discover in retrospect. Thanks for the welcome, we love it here!
Posted by:
tonyhavens

Postby Toonster » Fri 20 Nov 2009 08:35 GMT

Woah - nice and complicated!

Yes, I think that you will need to be in NZ for those two years (though you can of course leave for hols, as long as you have the six months of each year in NZ), and then you can come and go as you want. If you can't spend that time for any reason (i.e. if your wife's mother became ill, and she had to go back to care for her), then she could still get an extension to the visa (off the top of my head because I've shut down the browser link!) for 2 weeks, 6 months or a year, depending on the circumstances. But if she can wait for the 2 years, then it would be better, because that then would get rid of all complications :-)
Living in Windy Welly!
Timescales for PR Application: EOI December 2008; ITA submitted April 2009; PR granted end June 2009.
All posts are my own opinion and not meant to offer any formal visa or emigration advice.
Posted by:
Toonster

Return to Immigration, visas, residency, medicals