It is currently Mon 30 Mar 2020 06:02 GMT
Change font size

    Latest Message from British Expat:

  • UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Immigration, visas, residency, medicals

Dual UK/NZ nationality Civil Partnered in the UK

Here's the place to discuss all the red tape, rules, and regulations - the hoops you have to jump through before getting to NZ.

Dual UK/NZ nationality Civil Partnered in the UK

Postby Jac » Wed 21 Apr 2010 08:12 GMT

Hi there
I'm new to this forum so I'm sorry if this post is in the wrong place!

I have both UK and NZ Citizenship, and have lived in the UK all my life. My partner and I have been together 15 years and was Civil Partnered 6 years ago.
I realise I can legitimately re-locate to NZ, but will my partner be "covered" by my NZ status and be allowed to legally re-locate with me?

Many thanks.
Posted by:
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed 21 Apr 2010 08:05 GMT

Postby gozomark » Wed 21 Apr 2010 08:53 GMT

Hi Jac, and welcome to the forum :D

sorry I've no idea of the answer, but would be interested to find out the result just from a general knowledge basis.
Posted by:
Site Admin
Posts: 14215
Joined: Sun 20 Aug 2006 18:35 GMT
Location: Republic of Gozo

Postby Toonster » Thu 22 Apr 2010 08:39 GMT

Hi Jac and welcome to the forum

The quick answer is yes :-D ... e/partner/ ... mypartner/ ... srequired/ ... uickcheck/

These links should give you some more information - basically the main thing that you have to do is prove that you are in a genuine and stable relationship. This is actually a bit harder than it seems (going by the questions that I was asked about my relationship with my husband!) - having the bit of paper that says you are in a Civil Partnership is not enough, unfortunately. However, things like: joint bank accounts, bills in both your name, both names on the mortgage / rental agreements, photos of both of you together (going back a number of years) will help :D (now you'll be glad that you didn't declutter :wink: )

And I know, from a friend who is coming out as the partner of a Kiwi, that the process is not nearly as tortuous as it was for us getting our PR visa!

Good luck!
Living in Windy Welly!
Timescales for PR Application: EOI December 2008; ITA submitted April 2009; PR granted end June 2009.
All posts are my own opinion and not meant to offer any formal visa or emigration advice.
Posted by:
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed 23 Apr 2008 17:46 GMT
Location: Bristol -> Wellington

Postby gozomark » Thu 22 Apr 2010 09:19 GMT

The rules regarding time are less onerous than I would have thought, at only 12 months.

Partnership requirements

For a partner to be included in a residence application, we must be satisfied that:

•you’ve been living together in a genuine and stable relationship for 12 months or more
•you’re both aged 18 years or over, or if you’re aged between 16 and 18 years and you have the support of your parents or guardians
•you met before you made your residence application
•you’re not relatives.

Evidence of partnership

Evidence of partnership may be provided by:

•marriage certificate (if married)
•civil union certificate (if in a civil union)
•proof of shared residence (such as joint mortgage or tenancy agreements of rent book)
•financial dependence or interdependence (proof of shared income or bank accounts, or accounts that show money transfers to or from your account to your partner’s account)
•birth certificates of your children
•any documents showing public or family recognition of your relationship
•correspondence (including post marked envelopes) to you and your partner at the same address
•photographs of you and your partner together
•evidence of the duration of your relationship
•the degree of commitment to a shared life
•evidence of communication between you both
•evidence of you being committed to each other emotionally and exclusively, such as evidence of joint decision making, an exclusive sexual relationship, and the sharing of household duties, parental responsibility, and spare time.

We may verify any documents you provide.

Please note: If you have been living apart from your partner for any significant period during your relationship, you must also provide evidence of the length of any periods of separation, the reasons for them, and how your relationship was maintained during these periods.
Posted by:
Site Admin
Posts: 14215
Joined: Sun 20 Aug 2006 18:35 GMT
Location: Republic of Gozo

Return to Immigration, visas, residency, medicals