It is currently Sun 29 Mar 2020 16:12 GMT
Change font size

    Latest Message from British Expat:

  • UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Immigration, visas, residency, medicals

Working Holiday Visa for him... what about me?

Here's the place to discuss all the red tape, rules, and regulations - the hoops you have to jump through before getting to NZ.

Working Holiday Visa for him... what about me?

Postby mikeynat90 » Mon 27 Jun 2011 19:39 GMT


My partner and I have been looking to relocate to new zealand now for a while. My partner is a vehicle technician with lots of exerience, so he will be offered a position quite quickly. We have been advised to apply for a working holiday visa for him..... but what do I apply for? I'm currently working as a HR administrator. Can I just go to NZ with my partner on the same visa and work as anything?

Sorry if this sounds stupid..

Also, if there is anybody out there who works for or who knows someone who works for Audi as a technician, can you provide any details please, i.e. salary, working hours, holiday, work/life balance, progression?

Thank you, all the help you can give will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again.

Natalie and Mike :?
Posted by:
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon 27 Jun 2011 19:26 GMT
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Kay » Tue 28 Jun 2011 12:32 GMT

Hi and welcome to the forum. Where did you get the visa advice from? I don't mean names, just whether it was a consultant, a govt. website, or a potential employer. Did they not have any advice to help you as well as Mike?

Good luck with your plans. :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 15338
Joined: Wed 22 Jan 2003 13:06 GMT
Location: Kent for a couple of years

Postby Toonster » Sun 3 Jul 2011 02:36 GMT

Hi and welcome to the forums :D

Please note that under NZ immigration law, we aren't allowed to give out advice on visas without being registered consultants (they can shut the forums down!). So the below is my own opinion after having read through the NZ Immigration website...

A working holiday visa is a good way of finding out whether you think that NZ is the right place for you. There are restrictions on how long you can stay in one role for (12 months, and it can't be a permanent job) and various other conditions - listed out here: ... scheme.htm

Having the visa will also give you an idea of how long it would take either of you to get work (please remember that NZ is in a recession as well - I'm not sure what the motor trade is like, but a lot of office staff, particularly in the civil service here in Wellington are being made redundant, so there will be a lot of people going for roles, whether temporary or permanent)

However, depending on your partner's qualifications, he may also be able to get in on the Skilled Migrant visa ... tm?level=2

If he is, and you are able to prove that you are in a genuine and long term relationship as part of the application (my husband and I did this through showing both our names on tenancy leases, on bills and photos of us together), then you would be able to get residency as part of his visa. I came in because IT Account Management is on the skills short list, but my husband's job role of Data Analyst wasn't.

It is a much longer (and more costly!) route in to the country than a working holiday visa, though.
Living in Windy Welly!
Timescales for PR Application: EOI December 2008; ITA submitted April 2009; PR granted end June 2009.
All posts are my own opinion and not meant to offer any formal visa or emigration advice.
Posted by:
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed 23 Apr 2008 17:46 GMT
Location: Bristol -> Wellington

Return to Immigration, visas, residency, medicals