It is currently Thu 22 Aug 2019 18:44 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Health & Medical

Inhalers for my 12 year old

Let's hope you'll feel better when you've looked in here!

Inhalers for my 12 year old

Postby JillyB » Sun 24 Jan 2010 23:43 GMT

My 12 year old son is asthmatic. Please could someone tell me whether we'd need private health insurance or would we be covered by the NZ equivalent of the National Health Service, and how much would an inhaler cost?

(Toonster - I've edited this as you had Caps Lock on, and it looked like you were shouting!)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
JillyB
Free member

Postby Toonster » Mon 25 Jan 2010 01:03 GMT

It would depend on the insurance provider as to whether an existing condition like asthma was covered.

However, as long as you are registered with a GP, and you are fully resident, you would be able to get the inhaler at a subsidised rate. Depending on what he is on will give the cost - I did a quick search for Ventolin on the Pharmac website:
http://www.pharmac.govt.nz/Schedule?q=ventolin
and it gave me
Aerosol inhaler, 100 mcg per dose CFC free
Ventolin 2026414 $3.80
($6.00) per 200 dose OP
TICK Salamol 2179350 $3.80 per 200 dose OP
TICK Respigen 2272911 $3.80 per 200 dose OP
Living in Windy Welly!
Timescales for PR Application: EOI December 2008; ITA submitted April 2009; PR granted end June 2009.
All posts are my own opinion and not meant to offer any formal visa or emigration advice.
Posted by:
Toonster

Postby JillyB » Mon 25 Jan 2010 15:38 GMT

HE IS ON FLIXOTIDE AND VENTOLIN.THANKYOU AGAIN
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
JillyB
Free member

Postby Dave » Mon 25 Jan 2010 16:06 GMT

JillyB, I've locked this topic and your other one - as Toonster rightly says (and as we point out in our guidelines - please read them, if you haven't already), posting in all capital letters is generally taken to represent shouting on the Internet. Please don't do it here. Thanks.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Health & Medical