It is currently Mon 25 May 2020 20:00 GMT
Change font size

New Zealand - Other

Returning home - after a 16 year "overseas experience&q

Post here only if your question doesn't belong anywhere else. Don't post loads of questions all in one message - that would defeat the point of the forums and such posts will be deleted (don't feel embarrassed if you have 5 or 6 questions - you're welcome to ask them in separate posts in the appropriate place). (NB - if you want to post about something not New Zealand-specific, then use the main British Expat Forum.)

Returning home - after a 16 year "overseas experience&q

Postby Satchmo » Tue 20 Apr 2004 09:48 GMT

Hi everyone. I've just joined this forum and have been busily reading through all the postings.
Well, in 23 weeks and 4 days (not that I'm doing a count-down!) I'm going to be returning to NZ with British husband in tow, after living in London (9 years) and Germany (7 years). And I am so excited. We've debated to "move to NZ" question for years, but last year took the plunge and bought an amazing house in Christchurch, and are now getting prepared for a complete change of lifestyle. It's kind of scary, as we have no idea what we'll do when we arrive, and I know New Zealand has changed a lot in 16 years, and in fact most of the time I identify myself as British/European, rather than a New Zealander (I haven't been back for longer than 3 weeks at a time since I left). So we're trying to be realistic and are prepared for things not to be perfect, for maybe a few cultural problems etc...

Is there anyone else out there who has returned to NZ after a long absence? I'd be really interested to hear about your experiences.

Satchmo
Posted by:
Satchmo

Postby Carrington » Fri 23 Apr 2004 00:33 GMT

Wow - that is exciting and I am sure you wont regret it - I was back in the UK for nearly two years once and got so homesick for NZ I couldnt wait to get back againl
Of course things have changed in 16 years and you can catch up with the news on NZoom.com - gives the TV1 news every day- but people dont really change and you will probably find the same atmosphere unless you start talking about the Treaty!!!!
Christchurch was my home for 10 years - lived in Linwood and Somerfield and came to New Plymouth in 2000. Christchurch has a new art gallery that I have yet to see - close to the Arts Centre, which is still going strong and you will love the Riccarton Market. There are lots of improvements in the city I think. Where are you going to live? Do you still have family here? Keep in touch, will be interested to hear your reactions to being home again...
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Carrington
Free member

Return to New Zealand - Other