It is currently Mon 15 Jul 2019 23:58 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Sci Fi

I know you

By popular request - here's a place to discuss your favourite Sci Fi stuff. (Can anyone think of a better word than "stuff"?)

what is your fav sci-fi movie of all time?

Poll ended at Fri 31 Oct 2003 14:25 GMT

Blade Runner (of course)
67%
Star Trek
33%
Star Wars (anyone?)
No votes
Matrix (the first one)
No votes
Alien
No votes

Total votes : 3

I know you

Postby justajester » Mon 27 Oct 2003 14:25 GMT

...are out there. OK, all you sci-fi folks i have a question. Does anyone have any experience with "sims or simming"? I'd love to do some, but i need to know how much time it takes, etc. And it seems they have an inordinately large number of teenage boys...are there any suitable for grandma types?
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby CustomStrat » Mon 27 Oct 2003 18:55 GMT

Insufficient data for a meaningful answer...

My favourites are not on the list:

2001: A Space Odyssey

Aliens (the second one is one of the best films of the 1980's)

The Time Machine (the 1960 version); a film of great texture and resonance, albeit perhaps more fantasy than sci-fi...
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby justajester » Tue 28 Oct 2003 15:02 GMT

i agree...some of the best ones aren't on the poll list. Maybe you should do another poll with them on? And make the person who did the last poll walk the plank.
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Kay » Tue 28 Oct 2003 15:19 GMT

I like the original Star Wars films, but the new ones leave me cold. They're just for kids.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby CustomStrat » Tue 28 Oct 2003 20:17 GMT

I never got into any of the Star Wars films. Maybe I was already a little too old when the first one came out. It seemed to me that all the flashy special fx didn't really hide what was essentially a western.

I was really spoiled by 2001: A Space Odyssey. It had such an incredible sense of accuracy about the vastness of space and the apparent slowness of moving through it. And it had a story that was so deeply thought provoking instead of it just being about cowboys and indians with ray guns.
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby justajester » Wed 29 Oct 2003 14:54 GMT

I think i was too old for Star Wars when it came out, too, but i've since watched all of them with my grandchildren (didn't bother when my son was into them :( ) and agree that they are a variation on the cowboy theme. (although they are fun). The first Trek movie was good, but most of the others seemed like loooooooong versions of a tv show and i found myself going out for popcorn too many times while watching them.

I've heard there is a Red Dwarf movie...anyone know about this?
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby HesitationKills » Sun 2 Nov 2003 18:07 GMT

Controversially I was unable to vote in the poll but it would have been The Matrix. Good story, great effects and lovely Carrie Anne Moss....
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
HesitationKills
Free member

Postby justajester » Wed 5 Nov 2003 14:14 GMT

The new matrix one is out!! Anyone see it yet?
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Terry » Wed 5 Nov 2003 14:38 GMT

Quite a few years ago when I was in Sri Lanka, I was lucky enough to be invited for dinner with Arthur C Clarke and during the course of the evening he was asked what his favourite Sci-fi film was and his answer was Blade Runner.

I don't think the Red Dwarf film happened, I know there was talk of it but I think the project fell apart due to the fact the Septics wanted to turn it into a Edddie Murphy vehicle.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Terry
Free member

Postby justajester » Wed 5 Nov 2003 14:53 GMT

You spoke with Arthur Clarke? Oh wow...one of the great icons of twentieth century writing!! Blade Runner, definitely one of the top ten i agree.
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby HesitationKills » Wed 5 Nov 2003 16:11 GMT

The new matrix one is out!! Anyone see it yet?

I think it's out today in the UK and I'm returning to the UK next week so I'll definitely schedule in a visit to the cinema to see it :D
Posted by:
HesitationKills
Free member

Postby Kay » Wed 5 Nov 2003 20:57 GMT

We've recently watched Matrix Reloaded, if you like Kung Fu - which I do! - it's great. I'd like to watch it again, but would prefer to fast forward all the snogging and shagging. If you're into action it's a great film, but why spoil it with all that stuff?

And that Trinity woman has the largest *rse you could ever imagine on someone who is supposed to be a lean mean fighting machine.... . Oh well. It's probably nice that the guys don't mind, or even like, a big fat bum on a woman.

If you don't believe me, just check out some of the scenes which show her from behind. Those shiny tousers... Does her bum look big in this? Erm, yes, it does...

:twisted:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Not-Lorna » Wed 5 Nov 2003 21:52 GMT

Kay wrote:We've recently watched Matrix Reloaded, if you like Kung Fu - which I do! - it's great.

I left my boys (all three of them) to watch it and went to bed very early. I just don't get it. :?
Posted by:
Not-Lorna
Free member

Postby pmforster » Wed 5 Nov 2003 22:57 GMT

Not-Lorna wrote:
Kay wrote:We've recently watched Matrix Reloaded, if you like Kung Fu - which I do! - it's great.

I left my boys (all three of them) to watch it and went to bed very early. I just don't get it. :?

Matrix Revolutions (Matrix 3) starts today in Fiji. I just saw the 'Talking Movies' review, which summarised it as not as good as 1, but better than 2, so I might go. The local cinema only costs £1.70 so it's not much of a loss if I don't like it.

BTW, for BFB lovers (see thread above for translation), the Pacific region is the place for you. They start growing them from an early age and they can reach majestic proportions by early adulthood. They are a sign of beauty and wealth and other good things.

Best wishes

Peter
Posted by:
pmforster
Free member

Postby chabrenas » Fri 19 Dec 2003 17:18 GMT

I haven't seen Blade Runner (I'm a very infrequent filmgoer), but I'll add my vote for 2001.

I used to watch Star Trek (and Thunderbirds) on TV, but went off it after an episode where they came across a planet with a utopian civilisation which they broke up because they found out that the peace and euphoria were drug-induced (from the pollen of a lotus flower, if I remember rightly). I'm definitely not in favour of frying my mind, but this episode showed signs of heavy-handed political intervention and the message was unconvincing.

I'd forgotten the Time Machine - wonder if it's on DVD anywhere?

I'd like to revisit some of the early Dr Who, as well.
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Return to Sci Fi