It is currently Fri 19 Apr 2019 12:15 GMT
Change font size

Sci Fi

Jet Packs

By popular request - here's a place to discuss your favourite Sci Fi stuff. (Can anyone think of a better word than "stuff"?)

Jet Packs

Postby HesitationKills » Wed 17 Dec 2003 09:03 GMT

Remember the 1984 LA olympics? This guy flew down from the edge of the stadium into the centre thanks to the jet pack attached to his back.

My question is - what happened next? I've never seen another one! 20 years has passed and they haven't hit the shops yet.

Why have they not been made available?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
HesitationKills
Free member

Postby justajester » Thu 18 Dec 2003 20:05 GMT

i believe the jetson's had one, too. And if you don't know who they are/were, they were a cartoon family when i was a child. They had lots of neat things -flying cars, a robot maid...things i thought would make life soooooooo much nicer.
hmmm...must go Google "jet packs"...
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby HesitationKills » Fri 19 Dec 2003 08:29 GMT

Found this on Google -

The Rocket Belt, also popularly called the Jet Pack, Jet Flying Belt, Jet Belt, and Jet Vest, is a small personal propulsion device strapped to the back of an individual that enables a man to use low-power rocket propulsion to rapidly but safely travel or leap over short distances like small rivers or ravines and land upright on his feet. During the early 1960's the U.S. military seriously studied these devices as potential aids to combat soldiers especially in tight tactical situations. However, the 20 + second duration of the rocket fuel required for the belt was found to be too short-lived for the device to be practical and the idea was abandoned.

Case closed then.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
HesitationKills
Free member

Postby Not-Lorna » Fri 19 Dec 2003 10:45 GMT

HesitationKills wrote:Found this on Google -

The Rocket Belt, also popularly called the Jet Pack, Jet Flying Belt, Jet Belt, and Jet Vest, is a small personal propulsion device strapped to the back of an individual that enables a man to use low-power rocket propulsion to rapidly but safely travel or leap over short distances like small rivers or ravines and land upright on his feet. During the early 1960's the U.S. military seriously studied these devices as potential aids to combat soldiers especially in tight tactical situations. However, the 20 + second duration of the rocket fuel required for the belt was found to be too short-lived for the device to be practical and the idea was abandoned.

Case closed then.

Ohhhhhhhhhh. I was going to ask Santa for one. 8)
Posted by:
Not-Lorna
Free member

Postby SSue » Fri 19 Dec 2003 12:32 GMT

justajester2003 wrote:i believe the jetson's had one, too. And if you don't know who they are/were, they were a cartoon family when i was a child. They had lots of neat things -flying cars, a robot maid...things i thought would make life soooooooo much nicer.
hmmm...must go Google "jet packs"...

Hey Jaj, The Jetsons are still on our tv, so how old are we talking here :?:

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby justajester » Sun 21 Dec 2003 14:54 GMT

The Jetsons were on tv at LEAST 30-35 years ago...but i see they have made a comeback on the channels that play the oldies, as has I Dream of Jeannie, Bonanza, I love Lucy etc...
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Not-Lorna » Sun 21 Dec 2003 15:39 GMT

justajester2003 wrote:The Jetsons were on tv at LEAST 30-35 years ago...but i see they have made a comeback on the channels that play the oldies, as has I Dream of Jeannie, Bonanza, I love Lucy etc...

Oh dear, I used to watch I Dream of Jeannie and that was over 35 years years ago. I can watch Bewitched here but I don't understand enough Catalan, so I don't!
Posted by:
Not-Lorna
Free member

Postby justajester » Mon 22 Dec 2003 12:50 GMT

Samantha speaks Catalan? I always knew she was smart...
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Return to Sci Fi