It is currently Sat 16 Feb 2019 10:59 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Laos – Quick Quiz
    Historic "Land of a Million Elephants" and target of more tons of bomb per head than any other country ever, Laos has seen a lot in its time. What do you know about it?

Sci Fi

Dr WHO???!!

By popular request - here's a place to discuss your favourite Sci Fi stuff. (Can anyone think of a better word than "stuff"?)

Dr WHO???!!

Postby Dave » Sun 21 Mar 2004 06:28 GMT

It's just been announced that the ninth Dr Who will be Christopher Eccleston:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3552087.stm

A hugely surprising but great choice - there's every chance he'll reinject some of the edginess there used to be in the early days. I thought he was great in Our Friends In The North and Cracker.

Still don't know that he'll match up to Tom Baker, though :wink:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Re: Dr WHO???!!

Postby pmforster » Sun 21 Mar 2004 23:19 GMT

DrDaveHPP wrote:
[snip]

Still don't know that he'll match up to Tom Baker, though :wink:

Yes, he was good. I also liked William Hartnell. I didn't know who was scarier, him or the Daleks.

Peter Forster
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
pmforster
Free member

Postby spainboy » Mon 26 Apr 2004 09:53 GMT

pmforster wrote: I also liked William Hartnell. I didn't know who was scarier, him or the Daleks.

It was Cyber men that gave me the willys. As you know the daleks could not go upstairs ,so once in bed you were safe. But the Cyber men could get you anywhere... bbbrrr.... shudder..
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
spainboy
Free member

Postby Not-Lorna » Mon 26 Apr 2004 10:14 GMT

spainboy wrote:It was Cyber men that gave me the willys. As you know the daleks could not go upstairs ,so once in bed you were safe. But the Cyber men could get you anywhere... bbbrrr.... shudder..

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's exactly what I used to think as I lay in bed! I often thought I'd be safer in the attic.
Posted by:
Not-Lorna
Free member

Postby SSue » Tue 27 Apr 2004 03:44 GMT

Anyone remember Quatermass, the first horror/science fiction show to have a huge impact on british tv viewers?

I was about nine or so, and of course was packed of to bed before it started. I can remember one particular night, creeping down the stairs to see what I was missing, and what I saw through the door crack, gave me nightmares, without being asleep :shock: The worst of it was, I couldn't tell anybody what I was scared of......but at least it taught me a lesson that I never repeated. :lol:

Funnily enough, I've never been into science fiction or horror movies either, ever since!

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby Savannah_Alan » Tue 27 Apr 2004 04:46 GMT

SSue wrote:Anyone remember Quatermass, ...

Yes, I think I remember that Sue. the quatermass experiment. I seem to have a picture of something going on in an underground station at the start of the film???

I also remember being scared by the creature from the black lagoon. Jeez, I feel old.

Not to go off topic too much, but one of my favourite series when I was a kid was Catweazle. It seemed such an idyllic life to live in a water tower. Anyone remember him?

In fact, I'm off to start a new topic on favourite tv series...

Alan.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Doughty » Thu 20 May 2004 03:55 GMT

My favorite Drs were Patrick Troughton and Tom Baker. The cyber men were definitely the scariest aliens. I remember hiding behind the settee to watch when it first started with William Hartnell.
Posted by:
Doughty

Postby justajester » Mon 14 Mar 2005 22:24 GMT

I just saw an advert last night saying Dr who will be starting here April 1st...woo hooo! I hope it isn't a letdown.
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby justajester » Mon 11 Apr 2005 12:56 GMT

Well, I watched the first episode ( Rose) last week, and I think I am reserving judgement until I watch a few more.

I liked the actor who played Dr Who (but it appears he is leaving after the season) but not the girl who plays his sidekick(?) Rose.

The story itself almost seemed a bit childish, and I don't really believe most Who fans are children, are they?

Anyway, as I said, I'll watch a bit more to see where the stories go.

Nice TARDIS, though.
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby justajester » Tue 19 Apr 2005 10:49 GMT

...watched the second episode. I'm still not taken with it, but perhpas I'm comparing to the original? I'll give it another go this week, maybe three times lucky?
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Mike » Tue 19 Apr 2005 23:43 GMT

DrDaveHPP wrote:It's just been announced that the ninth Dr Who will be Christopher Eccleston

And he quit after the first episode.

The real new Dr Who is David Tennant, who presented a BAFTA this week resplendent in full Highland dress. He starred in the BBC adaptation of Casanova, and in Stephen Fry's movie Bright Young Things.

To his credit, he is from West Lothian, and follows a long line of Scottish Dr Who's. (Okay, a long line of Sylvester McCoy's)

To his discredit, he is quoted as saying he is looking forward to working with Billie Piper.

Mike
Glaikit. Bit nae sae glaikit as a gollach wi a blin ee.
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby justajester » Wed 20 Apr 2005 11:16 GMT

Last night was the third episode, called the Debut. It was no better than the other two, but perhaps that's the gimmick...get 'em watching to see if it WILL get better. It doesn't seem as....adult?cerebral?...as I would like...just another teen sci-fi, where it seems everything needs to be explained, lest we not be able to figure it out ourselves. I'm so disappointed.
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby justajester » Wed 18 May 2005 19:57 GMT

Well, after another episode I'd just about decided not to bother watching any more. Unfortunately, I'm a sucker for contests, and they have one going on...you watch the episode and at the end they ask a question and you go to the online site and answer...and then wait to find out you haven't won a trip to the UK. :(

Last night's episode was called Solar Flares...stupid monster-thingie had all the "journalists" under his control.
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby justajester » Tue 28 Jun 2005 14:10 GMT

Tonight is the latest episode in this series, so the last for this Doctor. All in all, the series felt like a letdown after all the hype. I'll see what the finale is like...
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby JayneR » Tue 19 Jul 2005 21:01 GMT

See ya! :D
Posted by:
JayneR
Free member

Next

Return to Sci Fi