It is currently Mon 15 Jul 2019 23:54 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Sci Fi

Anyone seen a UFO?

By popular request - here's a place to discuss your favourite Sci Fi stuff. (Can anyone think of a better word than "stuff"?)

Anyone seen a UFO?

Postby cellardoor » Mon 18 Oct 2004 23:34 GMT

Just wondered if anyone has seen a UFO before? I haven't.

I haven't even seen a shooting star! :(
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
cellardoor
Free member

Postby Dave » Tue 19 Oct 2004 03:11 GMT

Seen plenty of shooting stars, and one of my sister's ex-fiancés showed me a couple of satellites (the low-level, moving ones) one night when the sky was really clear. But no UFOs - yet :wink:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Tue 19 Oct 2004 04:02 GMT

No UFO's,but in my line of work I get to see the odd heavenly body :oops:

Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Tue 19 Oct 2004 05:56 GMT

Nope. Never seen a UFO, not a real one anyway.

I've seen several shooting stars, satellites, and the occasional heavenly body. :lol:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Tue 19 Oct 2004 16:17 GMT

Honestly not sure. I could have done, but even several years later i'm not convinced either way
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

www.britishexpat.com - News, humour and information for Brits worldwide!

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby cellardoor » Tue 19 Oct 2004 18:39 GMT

DrDaveHPP wrote:Seen plenty of shooting stars, and one of my sister's ex-fiancés showed me a couple of satellites (the low-level, moving)

I don't know what you mean by these low-level satellites. What are they, where are they?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
cellardoor
Free member

Postby cellardoor » Tue 19 Oct 2004 18:42 GMT

Rich wrote:Honestly not sure. I could have done, but even several years later i'm not convinced either way

Did it appear and then shoot off really fast?
Posted by:
cellardoor
Free member

Postby Dave » Wed 20 Oct 2004 05:28 GMT

cellardoor wrote:I don't know what you mean by these low-level satellites. What are they, where are they?

I'm pretty sure they're military reconnaissance or weather satellites - they orbit at much lower levels than the geostationary ones (about 800km up, as opposed to 36,000km) and move steadily across the sky in a straight line.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby justajester » Thu 21 Oct 2004 14:51 GMT

Hi all, i'm still alive! And yes, I have seen a UFO...twice, in fact. Anyone ever heard of the incident in Shag Harbour, Nova Scotia in 1968? I lived near there at the time, and saw it, but because my father was in the military and we had been told it was nothing...we didn't discuss it. I didn't know it was a UFO until many, many years later. The second time was when I was in a car rally, driving through a back road, when we got the car stuck in the mud. The driver(another woman) and myself sat there trying to figure out what we were going to do...when we saw the UFO directly above. Again, this was about 25 years ago and while we talked a bit about it at the time, we didn't discuss it much over the years. So, there you have it... my experience.
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Kay » Thu 21 Oct 2004 18:12 GMT

Hi JaJ

Glad to have you back again! Squiffs told us you were having some computer problems. I hope you've got 'em fixed now. :)

I'm really interested in what you say about UFOs. I've never seen one but I don't believe that such a phenomenon can't happen. I'm interested in it. But there will always be people who will refuse to believe that things exist, just because they personally haven't seen them. Good on you for saying it. I hope it leads to some interesting discussions.

Kay :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby spainboy » Thu 21 Oct 2004 21:26 GMT

No , but wendy works with a guy who says he has been in one or two. and tells the boss thats why he's late for work some times . :(
Posted by:
spainboy
Free member

Postby justajester » Fri 10 Dec 2004 20:13 GMT

The fact that they were unidentified means I didn't (and still don't )know what they were. I guess you could say I am open-minded when it comes to an identification. Do I think they are alien? Not necessarily, but I don't have any idea what they could really be. Time will tell, I suppose.

By the way, I do often monitor various NASA websites for news.
Last edited by justajester on Sun 12 Jun 2005 19:09 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Martin Pickering » Tue 26 Apr 2005 19:27 GMT

I watched Telstar pass overhead in the UK. Must have been in the early sixties? Seen plenty of "shooting stars". October's the best time. Dark, cloudless nights. Never seen anything I couldn't identify.

There is, of course, no such thing as a UFO. Anyone who purports to have seen one is a nutter (allegedly). ;)
Posted by:
Martin Pickering
Free member

Postby Savannah_Alan » Wed 27 Apr 2005 05:23 GMT

Early hours of the morning once in the UK, I had a very bright light shine down on the car I was driving. I assume that it must have been a police helicopter, but I did stop the car and turn the engine off, but couldn't hear a thing :?
Who knows...

We watched the space station come over just before we left the UK.

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby justajester » Sun 12 Jun 2005 19:11 GMT

It is the time of year for this to be bumped up...so, any new sightings?
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Return to Sci Fi