It is currently Thu 18 Apr 2019 18:19 GMT
Change font size

Sci Fi

The 4400

By popular request - here's a place to discuss your favourite Sci Fi stuff. (Can anyone think of a better word than "stuff"?)

The 4400

Postby justajester » Sat 26 Mar 2005 14:03 GMT

Yesterday I watched a 6 hour marathon entitled, The 4400. The first episode showed how suddenly 4400 people who had been "abducted" (disappeared) throughout the years from 1940s to the almost present reappeared. They had all been away for various amounts of time (one lady 3 years, a child since about 1940). They had not aged while away, and the stories followed them as they re-integrated.

The first show seemed like it was going to be a good series, showing the "Returnees" being told when it was, and reintegration beginning.

The child's parents had long been dead, of course, so it showed her being sent to live with another young couple. A black man who had been an air force pilot had trouble looking for a job "how do I explain a 50 year gap in my resume?" And a young wife came back after 10 years to find her husband had re-married and had nver told his her daughter (now 11) that her mother had disappeared years before. The woman was sick at heart to learn of this, and to make matter worse, wehn she went to her doctor, she found out she was pregnant. She hadn't been pregnant when she disappeared.

A teenage boy came back to find out his little borhter was now the same age as him.

Anyway, I thought it could have been good, but as the show went on, it turns out some of these returnees have a special "power" (the little girl can see the future, the woman's unborn baby tells her 'things', etc) so it got a bit wacky for me.

Anyone else ever see this series, or is it a new one that they are juut trying out?
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Graeme » Sat 26 Mar 2005 17:01 GMT

Must be something they're trying out on the East coasters JaJ, haven't come across it over this way. Sounds as if it could be an interesting show, but what about the effect on the people who stayed behind? Now they know there is intelligent life "out there" does it change their attitudes? I agree the future looking thing and having unborn babies tell the carrier things is a bit bizzare, but then isn't the premise for the show a bit beyond the fringe?

I'll tell you if it comes this way.

Graeme :)
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sat 26 Mar 2005 17:15 GMT

As far as I know it's not currently on Thai TV. But there again, we rarely watch the box anyway - just a bit of BBC World, and to watch DVDs the rest of the time. :P
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby justajester » Sat 26 Mar 2005 19:08 GMT

Graeme, it was on this weekend on the Space channel, followed by Farscape. Just as that came on, company arrived so I didn't get to watch it.
Oh, and the credits show it was filmed mostly in BC, but the setting of the show was suppose to be near Seattle.

Kay...maybe Thai tv hasn't picked up on it yet...don't hold your breath for it, it wasn't that good.
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby justajester » Sun 18 Dec 2005 19:45 GMT

While Squiffy was here on his annual shopping trip, he and I got into watching this again. The second season was showing and it seemed to flesh out a lot of the characters.. It has now ended for this season ( a cliff-hanger, wouldn't you know) and I've no idea when the next season will begin...but probably next fall. I must admit the second season was better than the first.
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Return to Sci Fi