It is currently Tue 18 Feb 2020 07:16 GMT
Change font size

West Coast

Gaelic Speakers

This is the forum for all your West Coast quips and questions.

Gaelic Speakers

Postby JFlowers » Mon 29 Nov 2004 11:55 GMT

I am a US citizen currently living in Portland, Oregon. I hope to move to Scotland sometime next year to attend school. I would love to hear from a Gaelic speaker who would be interested in having a short phone conversation once or twice a week. I am currently taking an on-line class and am in need of more conversation and vocal interaction.
Moran taing!!
J
Last edited by JFlowers on Mon 29 Nov 2004 12:42 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Posted by:
JFlowers

Postby Kay » Mon 29 Nov 2004 12:06 GMT

Hi J

Welcome to BE. I'm curious to know why you've chosen to go to Scotland for your education. I'm Scottish and I believe I had a good education there, so much so, I've chosen a Scottish uni for the Masters degree I'm currently doing (by distance learning).

Where are you planning to live? The reason I ask is that there aren't all that many communities who speak Gaelic unless you're in the west coast Highlands and Islands - and I'm not aware of any major educational establishments in these areas.

There are loads of Scots on here, but most of us speak the east coast dialect/language which is called Doric. We all speak English, though.

If you can give some more details, we'll be able to help you better.

Good luck with your plans!

Kay :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Gaelic speakers

Postby JFlowers » Mon 29 Nov 2004 12:42 GMT

Kay-
I hope to attend Sabhal Mor Ostaig, an Teanga. I am taking An Cursa Inntrigeadh, but I have fallen behind due to a series of unfortunate events, and I would reeally love to get caught up.
I chose Sabhal Mor because I love Gaelic, Scotland and especially the people found there. I'd eventually like to work in Gaelic publishing or broadcasting.
I just visited Sabhal Mor and Glasgow, and had the time of my life. I can't wait to get back.
So, a bheil Gaidhlig agaibh? Or do you know anyone who does?? Anyone in the continental US would be fine, as I can call long distance no problem.
Why are you in Thailand? Any plans to return to Alba anytime soon? Which university are you studying with?
Regards,
J
Posted by:
JFlowers

Postby Kay » Mon 29 Nov 2004 15:39 GMT

Hi again, J

Thanks for the info, and I wish you the best of luck. I don't know of any Gaelic speakers on here, but it would be nice if there were some. I'll post on the Chinwags board on our other forum and ask. As I said, most of the Jocks around here are Doric speakers.

I'm sorry I didn't understand most of your reply - I'm fairly clueless when it comes to Gaelic. But keep at it! I've spent some time in the west of Scotland and the people are great, and they'll help you. I did know some people at the college you're planning to go to, but that was a long, long time ago. I went on an outing with them and it was really good fun.

I'm with RGU (Aberdeen) and in the final stage of my MSc in e-business. Why am I in Thailand? Hey, that story is too long. And no, I have have no plans to return to the old, cold, and expensive country. I like it here.

All the best,

Kay

(and I'll get back to you if I discover any Gaelic speakers)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Mon 29 Nov 2004 15:53 GMT

A J, a chara,

I wish I could help. Unfortunately, the very little Gaeilge I learnt was over ten years ago, and was (as you'll tell from the spelling) of the Irish persuasion, which probably wouldn't help a huge amount. (I've got a Teach Yourself book and tape and may have a look at that again some time, although learning Thai is probably a bigger priority right now...)

All the same, good luck to you. Lovely language, lovely people... I almost wish I was there on the course instead of you!
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

old & cold...

Postby JFlowers » Mon 29 Nov 2004 20:00 GMT

Yes, but so incredibly beautiful. Expensive, too, but I'd give anything to call it home. I've never been to your part of the world, but I hear it's lovely.
Enjoy your life in Thailand!
Le durachd,
J
Posted by:
JFlowers

Did you find your Gaelic speaker?

Postby IS Tucson » Sun 17 Apr 2005 20:15 GMT

I don't want to poste a link in case I'm accused of spamming, but here in Tucson we have a number of Gaelic teachers (Irish / Scots) and also Welsh, and I've heard of Belgian and Spanish Gaelic groups although have no direct knowledge.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
IS Tucson
Free member

Return to West Coast