It is currently Sun 31 May 2020 20:35 GMT
Change font size

West Coast

Moving to Los Angeles

This is the forum for all your West Coast quips and questions.

Moving to Los Angeles

Postby deathstar73 » Sat 4 Mar 2006 21:45 GMT

Hi guys,
I am thinking of moving to California to be with my girlfriend but there does not seem any way of spending time together unless (a) I quit my job for 3 months and go out on a tourist visa (b) I get a K-1 visa and we get married after 3 months, or (c) a H1B visa, but I can't see my company transferring me to L.A. Any help or guidance on this would be appreciated. Are there any other ways to get to California for 6 months or a year so we can spend time together and see if we can work this long-term relationship out?

Paul 8)
Posted by:
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat 4 Mar 2006 21:36 GMT
Location: Barry, South Wales

Postby ian6479 » Wed 11 Apr 2007 14:10 GMT

f you are a recent uni graduate then you can apply for a J1 visa which is valid for up to 18 months. You will need an employer in the states though who is willing to employ you and fill out the paperwork whilst you are here. Info is available from Council Exchanges and probably BUNAC. Otherwise its just the 3 month tourist visa. I did my J1 back in 2002 and now live with my US wife in England, although we too are planning on moving to Southern California within the next 12 months.
Posted by:
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed 11 Apr 2007 11:10 GMT

Return to West Coast