It is currently Sat 19 Aug 2017 07:16 GMT
Change font size

Housing/Property

SW France

Buy or rent? Dealing with builders, lawyers, etc? Try here for info. NO ADVERTISING - property wanted or property to let adverts belong in our classifieds section. Any property ads will be deleted. This forum is for discussing property-related issues. (For the sake of consistency, please post mortgage queries on the Money matters forum.)

SW France

Postby sharky » Mon 3 Apr 2006 09:40 GMT

ANYONE ELSE HAD PROBLEMS? I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had problems with Leggett immobilier, a British estate agency based in France. My own tale is long, but suffice it to say that I had two properties for sale with their agency in Montbron. They sold the first property after I reduced the asking price by half (my choice, but not without a lot of negative feedback about the property from teh agency, which had inititally shown great enthusiasm for the house) When they proceeded to do a similar negative critique of my second property my suspicions were aroused (I have the house with several other agencies who've confirmed that my asking price is perfectly reasonable), so I decided to void the contract I had with them and requested that the keys be returned.
Four months later and after countless phone calls, letters and emails the keys to my property have not been returned and the head of the agency at La Rochbeaucourt has not deigned to reply to registered letters which I sent complaining of the company's unprofessional behaviour (and when I called the company's director he told me that there were far more important things to worry about in life and I should just change all the locks of all the doors to my property ). Exasperated, I have been forced to lodge a complaint with police and have been advised to contact the French Frauds department...I have bought and sold several properties in France and never encountered such behaviour. When I contacted the Charente prefecture they said they'd already had complaints about this agency. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had problems with this company..
Posted by:
sharky

French Estate Agents - Leggett

Postby Nora » Thu 18 Oct 2007 17:11 GMT

I have had terrible problems with their agent in Languedoc - a long story but suffice to say the description of the property I put an offer in on was not actually accurate, many discrepancies which resulted in my pulling out of the deal. We got part of the deposit back but are still 1500 Euros short - best to be avoided.
Posted by:
Nora

Postby ruggie » Sat 20 Oct 2007 15:03 GMT

You put in an offer for a property without seeing it? Or even wthout checking out the details? I ,presume you didn't sign the compromis de vente...
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Nora » Sun 21 Oct 2007 14:21 GMT

We did see the property, its just that the agent was not truthful about what we were supposedly buying. We signed the compromis de vente but it had paragraphs added to it AFTER we had signed it, this only came to light when I compared the copy of the one we signed and the one that came back from the notaire. The most serious thing was that the land had been divided up and the vendors were keeping two acres, which were for sale separately with planning permission attached. The estate agent falsely told the vendors that she had asked us whether we wanted to buy them and we had said no thanks!! As I said we have had most of the deposit returned but are still 1500 Euros short for "bank charges" - it is so unfair that we are out of pocket due to being hoodwinked.
Posted by:
Nora

Postby ruggie » Sun 21 Oct 2007 14:39 GMT

That's definitely unprofessional conduct, but I don't know how to complain about it. Might be worth asking to your nearest Huissier de Justice for advice, and talking to the Notaire involved.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Nora » Tue 23 Oct 2007 11:22 GMT

We complained to the "chief notaire" but they say its down to the estate agents. I have also asked the notaire for a breakdown of the ridiculous "bank charges" but haven't heard back yet. I want people to be aware of these agents, they are current advertising a house for sale, next to the one we nearly got conned into, offering a "peaceful tranquil oasis" - I know for a fact that half the garden is on the market with planning permission!
Posted by:
Nora

Charente experience

Postby Suzy2 » Fri 25 Jan 2008 22:18 GMT

We came to view some houses with Leggett, only 1 out of 5 was still availably and it wasn't anything at all what they said. The agent showed us some other properties but we found him very rude to the owners (old french couple) allthough he didn't seem to speak french well. We had the impression they are in it for the fast money. Finally we bought something through a small local agency in Mansle (about one year a go). Later on we found out that a lot of people were treated badly and even lied to (about the TGV line for example) by Leggett. We are looking with some of them to go to court or at least inform the french fraud control (http://www.finances.gouv.fr/DGCCRF/anglais.htm).
I wish you all good luck and I'd advice you to got to the independant small agencies (be it british or french), they mostly have bilingual agents and have far better relations with the local people.
Posted by:
Suzy2

Postby Nora » Sat 26 Jan 2008 09:23 GMT

Thank you Suzy2, this is very interesting. We are still 1500 Euros down but are still pursuing it! Please keep us informed about the action against Leggett Immobilier.
Posted by:
Nora

Re: SW France Leggett

Postby Piewhaket » Thu 27 Jul 2017 20:05 GMT

so grateful to find these older replies and say what I have been experiencing as a potential buyer in 2017.
mostly double talk and a promise to find me a property without even visiting ahead of purchase!
Thanks to those stalwart souls who shared their unfortunate experiences.
If anyone has other suggestions for reliable agents if they exist in south of France in current day
would appreciate referrals or ideas.
Posted by:
Piewhaket

Return to Housing/Property