It is currently Wed 18 Jul 2018 06:42 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Pakistan – Quick Quiz
    It's the ancestral home of nearly one in 50 Britons and the world's only Muslim nuclear power. But what else do you know about Pakistan? Try our Quick Quiz and find out!

Rest of Europe

Russia

Please have a look at the country forums here first, but if it's European and we don't already have a forum for it - try here.

Russia

Postby Victor » Wed 7 Mar 2007 00:27 GMT

Anyone have any experience of Moscow?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Victor
Free member

welcome to Russia, but let me mention a few special things

Postby askmaxim » Thu 6 Aug 2009 19:21 GMT

Hi there!

Sure, welcome to Russia, but let me mention a few special things.

First of all, Russia and Moscow (the capital) are almost two different states.
Moscow is surrounded by the ring highway, and all inbound exits are attended by police which would be busy checking selected incoming cars.

Everything is better in Moscow than outside that ring highway, even the gasoline is much better in quality. If you pump outside Moscow, you may easily get your 'check engine' light on.

In Russia, police is generally not available to help with immediate security needs. For instance, they would not rush to pick up your emergency call, and then they would not rush either to come to your location with help. They would come probably in time for filling paperwork rather than to intervene in an action. Remarkably, public order is quite reasonably maitained without police. If necessary, ordinary citizens come to help risking their well-being. This state of things may be similar to Japan or China, perhaps?

Moscow is said to be a safe place to walk around any time of day and night, and that seems pretty much true.
If NYC is said to be a city that never sleeps, you'd think NYC never wakes up after being in Moscow. I drove in NYC - same thing, driving in NYC is relaxation after Moscow. Big streets in Moscow may have 8 lanes or more in each direction. Parking spots are becoming scarce on business days but not as bad as in NYC.

Moscow is quite good when it comes to food and desserts. There is a nice chain Coffee Bean owned by a US expat in Russia (coffeebean.ru). A cup of tea or coffee is charged about USD 5.00. Is that a lot?

Now, I will tell you something you won't find probably in any Moscow guidebooks. If I were to show Russia to a foreigner in summer, I would take you to a river beach. Moscow has Moscow River, and there is a popular beach within the city limits called 'Serebryany Bor' (Silver Forest). You will see that practically all Russians play beach valleyball and swim far into the river. By the way, Russian men normally wear sporty (bikini) swimpants rather than knee-long shorts.

The bottom line is, it looks like most expats have a hard time when it comes to returning home. They miss Russia.

- -
BTW
This Russian news article
realty.vz.ru/article/2009/5/13/713.html
names Moscow hotels the World's No. 1 most expensive, at USD 200 per night on average.
Compare that to USD 60 in USA, USD 100 in Switzerland, and USD 115 in London.
It's not just lodgings per se though, but food and products, too.
An average cup of coffee in Moscow is 1.5 times that in Rome, 2x Berlin and 4 times more expensive than coffee in USA.
N.B. A retirement pension in Russia is hardly more than USD 100 (one hundred dollars) per month in the best case.
The best thing you can do in this situation is, I guess, start selling coffee unless you can afford to own a hotel.
Posted by:
askmaxim

Samara impressions, Volga

Postby Lollyrock » Thu 20 Aug 2009 05:20 GMT

Hi everyone! I just wanted to share my impressions till they are fresh :D

I’ve just returned from the Volga river cruise. That was gorgeous! I mean it. OK, I guess that gonna be better if I go from the very beginning.

So, it all started when I found myself sitting in Samara, Russia miserable, tired from work and dreadfully bored. I was overcome by self-pity when my friend suggested we should try some cruise or smth of the kind (why, why didn’t she do that earlier?). Well, at first I found the idea far from being brilliant: I’ve never done that before, at any hand for several days. Plus Waugh’s “Bridshead revisited” I was reading didn’t add optimism (if you remember most of the characters suffered from rolling during the trip and I can’t say I’m a good sailor). But sitting at work or home all thro' the day was a creepy alternative, so I gave it green light (after certain hesitation) to avoid turning into some peevish bluestocking)

Well, I like going the whole hog, so I (my friend never helped! lazy) googled, found a good tour-operator, chose the variant I liked most, packed my case, checked my face and… started my tiny adventure.

It’s worth saying I chose four-decker “Tikhij Don” as it was proclaimed one of the safest and most convenient boats. Oh, and the biggest one in Samara, Russia. And I do love comfort, I hate when for e.g. broken air-conditioner spoils my trip).

I chose the biggest boat and one of the longest trips (imagine, 7 days!), so to say decided to have a blast. I don’t regret.

In an hour, after unpacking a trunk I felt like farewell business suit and bikini you’re welcome. Oh, btw, there was a huge wardrobe in my Luxe, which’s great as I always take an inevitable number of clothing. The room was really cozy and nice – 2 big beds, air conditioner (!), WC and a shower unit and other things to make me happy, and a safe (it’s a pity I had nothing to put in it :( ).

All in all, I would strongly advise everyone give Volga cruise a go, that’s unforgettable.

It looks like my first Volga river cruise experience was a success. Hey guys, drop me a line if you’ve been on any other Volga cruise just to compare impressions.
Posted by:
Lollyrock

Re: welcome to Russia, but let me mention a few special thin

Postby englishmaninmosc » Mon 9 Aug 2010 13:43 GMT

askmaxim wrote:Sure, welcome to Russia, but let me mention a few special things.

Yes I have lived here since last year. I can't say I love it. At the mo we are chocking in smog from the fires. Its vast expensive mega city. I am a stay at home dad looking after my kid while my wife works to bring in the cash. Tough life !! :lol:
Posted by:
englishmaninmosc

Postby expatstayathomed » Mon 28 Feb 2011 12:10 GMT

YES English man in Moscow

[Edit: promotional link removed]
Posted by:
expatstayathomed

Return to Rest of Europe