It is currently Thu 21 Jun 2018 15:44 GMT
Change font size

Picture House

American Gangster

Want to talk about the latest films you've seen or your favourite telly programmes of all time? Here's where to talk about anything related to the big or small screen.

American Gangster

Postby Dave » Sat 28 Nov 2009 19:22 GMT

Kay and I watched this just now.

I had reasonably high expectations of it because Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington were the stars. Kay wasn't really that keen, but agreed to give it a go.

The fundamental story had a lot of potential - decent cop fighting a pretty lonely battle to do the right thing, kid who's grown up making his way in the world by criminal means, each of them inexorably moving towards confrontation but both having to deal with corrupt policemen along the way.

Unfortunately it was only about ten minutes away from the end before it actually got interesting. The first two hours and ten minutes seemed to be a protracted bout of scene-setting, and was surprisingly slow moving for what was a pretty violent film.

Not one we'll be saving for future viewing. :?
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby CustomStrat » Sun 6 Dec 2009 16:14 GMT

I tend to judge the quality of a film by how well I remember it some time after seeing it. Aside from the beginning and the ending (because I'm familiar with the location) I couldn't for the life of me, recount or recall any of it except that these two otherwise fine actors were in it... A big disappointment.
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Return to Picture House