It is currently Thu 14 Nov 2019 05:39 GMT
Change font size

Music

What's your saddest songs?

A place to discuss music.

Postby Dave » Sat 4 Dec 2004 18:57 GMT

Not sure how I missed this thread first time round on Chinwags. Still...

I find that a lot of "sad songs" just don't grab me emotionally - many of them just seem very schmaltzy or just plain clichéd. (Sorry, Squiffs, but for me "Honey" falls down on both those counts. On the other hand, "Seasons In The Sun" by Terry Jacks doesn't. Not sure why exactly, but it's probably the absence of choirs of "angels" in the background at the end.)

"Without You" by Nilsson is a bit of a tear-jerker. Great song, great voice.

A couple of Walker Brothers' songs would be in there for me: "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Any More" and "Make It Easy On Yourself". "No Regrets" almost made it, but it's bitter rather than sad.

U2's "With Or Without You" is a bit sad too, as indeed is "All I Want Is You".

But I think the top of my list would have to be the Big O: "Crying". Again, a haunting voice, and one of those songs that sends shivers down my spine.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sat 4 Dec 2004 19:30 GMT

Not a pop song but Carrickfergus will do it for me.

I just love that song.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby CustomStrat » Sat 4 Dec 2004 21:20 GMT

My choice is rather an oddity... And it's not even an official recording...

I have a bootleg copy of a rather poor quality audience recording of the encore at the Alpine Valley Music Festival on 26 August 1990 in which Eric Clapton closed the show by bringing out several friends who'd appeared at the festival with him, to perform the old Robert Johnson classic "Sweet Home Chicago." These included Buddy Guy, Robert Cray, Jimmy Vaughan and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Although it's sometimes hard to tell from the recording it has been said, by all those in attendance, that Stevie Ray Vaughan blew the lid off the place and cast all the others into the shadows. Following the performance the various musicians hung out back stage for a few minutes before making their way towards various transportation that would take them back to, of all places, Chicago. Within half an hour the helicopter that Stevie Ray Vaughan was on had crashed into the side of a hill in dense fog, killing everyone on board.

Somehow, this association and the obvious intensity of his performance on this recording makes it incredibly sad, for me, to listen to. It brings to mind that line from "Bladerunner," something along the lines of "the light that burns half as long burns twice as bright."
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby Mojan » Sun 5 Dec 2004 08:26 GMT

Songs that bring a bit of a lump to the throat for me are;

Old Shep (can't really stand the song...but if I have to hear it, it can usually be guaranteed to produce the odd tear.

Auld Lang Syne ( can't manage to do the whole song without getting all choked up!!)

Any song thats sung by The Welsh Male Voice Choir

And......I know we said only two songs, but -
I'm dreaming of a white Christmas by Bing Crosby
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Mojan
Free member

Postby Purley » Sun 5 Dec 2004 14:28 GMT

I don't know about crying - but I always find "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton - I think that's the title - to be a really sad song. I heard (but I have now had this disputed) that he wrote the song when his child fell out of a highrise window and was killed. I think it was probably the event that made it feel like a sad song, although as I said I have heard that this was not the reason he wrote the song.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Mike » Sun 19 Dec 2004 04:00 GMT

I can't believe I missed this first time around, but all my own candidates have to take a back seat after Kay's post

Kay wrote:Puff The Magic Dragon.

In my plooky yooth, I staggered round the local pubs in a folk band, and one of our favourites was

Puff the Magic Dragon lived on the shelf
No-one ever played with Puff, so Puff played with himself.

(We then developed it into an eightsome reel, courtesy of Wullie on the mandolin.)

On a mair serious note, one track I cannot listen to without shedding tears, is the Hooters - Karla with a K. But I'm not going to tell you why :twisted:

Mike
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

sad songs

Postby ho2rose » Wed 12 Jan 2005 23:46 GMT

danny boy and down the old bog road, both irish songs
Posted by:
ho2rose

Postby dave dee » Thu 8 May 2008 17:36 GMT

In my opinion the saddest song I ever heard was on rememberance day four years ago, Willie Mcbride by Eric Bogle. :cry: So sad i could,nt forget it.
Another one by Eric Bogle and the fureys, Even sadder, And the band played waltzing matilda.
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby Dave » Fri 9 May 2008 07:23 GMT

"Willie McBride" - that really is a sad one. Also known as "The Green Fields Of France". Kay and I have a version by Barnbrack.

"And The Band Played 'Waltzing Matilda'" is another classic song.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Saddest song.

Postby chocks away » Thu 4 Sep 2008 15:32 GMT

Hymn by Barclay James Harvest and Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks always give me goosebumps!
Posted by:
chocks away

Postby Kay » Thu 4 Sep 2008 16:00 GMT

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seasons in the sun... oh dear :D

Thanks for joining in. 8)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Fri 5 Sep 2008 07:26 GMT

REM - Everybody Hurts
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
Snow Patrol - Run
Radohead - Karma Police
Zwan - Of A Broken Heart
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night - particularly the acustic version done for MTV - not easy to listen to esp. when you realise what happened shortly afterward, but I know of nosong sang with more feeling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEtDC6Mu ... re=related
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Mon 29 Sep 2008 07:37 GMT

Doesn't make me cry, but St James Infirmary Blues is a good candidate from the trad jazz world.

From my childhood, I remember tunes associated with dying in films:

- Danny Boy (in Coral Island?)

- The Black Hills of Dakota (in Davy Crockett)

I love pibrochs, but they make me melancholy rather than tearful.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Mon 29 Sep 2008 09:36 GMT

gozomark wrote:Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Rick Wright RIP :(
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Mon 29 Sep 2008 20:54 GMT

looking back and on reflection, "do ya wanna be in my gang". Proof all that glitters is not gold.
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Music