It is currently Thu 12 Dec 2019 22:50 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Music

A sad day

A place to discuss music.

A sad day

Postby spainboy » Tue 26 Oct 2004 13:28 GMT

John Peel died .
Many is the hour i have listened to a man who's love of music was a joy

here
:cry:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
spainboy
Free member

Postby Kay » Tue 26 Oct 2004 13:42 GMT

A sad day indeed, spainboy.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Alan-LaCala » Tue 26 Oct 2004 14:35 GMT

Oh no; that has really upset me.

He was a really genuine warm human being, and they are getting rarer.

Alan
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Alan-LaCala
Free member

Postby cellardoor » Tue 26 Oct 2004 18:46 GMT

Couldn't believe it when I heard that. I was on my way home in the car and they were playing songs in his memory. What a shock!
Posted by:
cellardoor
Free member

Postby Rich » Tue 26 Oct 2004 19:06 GMT

:shock: :shock:

Oh no. I'd missed that completely. Really sad. :cry:

RIP John Peel, and sympathies to Sheila, the rets of his family and all his friends
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

www.britishexpat.com - News, humour and information for Brits worldwide!

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby Dave » Wed 27 Oct 2004 00:03 GMT

Very sad - a great music lover and a real presence in my teen and student years. He'll be sorely missed. :(
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Wed 27 Oct 2004 00:48 GMT

Born 1939 in the Wirral. Emigrated to America in search of a decent life as a computer programmer.

Returned to the UK, started DJ-ing on pirate radio. Made a wee bit of a name for himself on Radio London.

John was one of the originals on Radio 1, but was never accepted by the powers that be as mainstream. Despite which, he was the last original Radio 1 DJ. That speaks volumes.

John Peel championed new bands. We have John to thank for the Undertones, and New Order, among many others.

He was a stalwart of the recent "Grumpy Old Men" series on BBC TV, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was the inspiration behind it.

Like many of you, I grew up with John Peel. His was the voice of our rebellion, although he never raised it.

There was never a more powerful monotone.

I guess I'm not alone in feeling I've just lost a very good friend.

Mike
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby nooranismith » Wed 27 Oct 2004 11:37 GMT

A shock and sadness. I pretty much gave up on Radio after they bumped John Peel. My record collection is pretty much full of music he introduced me to. Very sad.
Posted by:
nooranismith
Free member

Return to Music