It is currently Mon 6 Apr 2020 06:29 GMT
Change font size

Music

Greatest Album Of All Time!

A place to discuss music.

Greatest Album Of All Time!

Postby Guest » Fri 3 Dec 2004 17:27 GMT

What's the greatest album of all time and why?
One of mine will be Raintown by Deacon Blue! Every song a feel good killer classic.

what's your best album of all time? Share your thoughts!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:

Re: Greatest Album Of All Time!

Postby spainboy » Sat 4 Dec 2004 00:53 GMT

churchill wrote:what's your best album of all time?!

That could do yer head in man !
how about top 5 or 10 or 20 .......No ! it's to hard
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
spainboy
Free member

Re: Greatest Album Of All Time!

Postby Guest » Sat 4 Dec 2004 13:03 GMT

OK ! How about your top 5 albums of all time? Surely there must be some albums that just stand out for most people?

Let's hear it, you can go as far back as you want, am not a big fan of all the current stuff meself.......LOL

[Quote deleted by Site Admin. Quoting the entirety of the immediately previous posting serves no useful purpose and is irritating to the reader. Please stop doing it. Read our guidelines. Dave]
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:

Postby CustomStrat » Sat 4 Dec 2004 16:20 GMT

Revolver
Sgt. Pepper
(Two of the most profound and significant musical events in the entire history of music)

Pearl
(Janis Joplin at her best)

The Hissing of Summer Lawns
(Joni Mitchell's transitional moment)

In Step
(The first album recorded after Stevie Ray Vaughan emerged from rehab; full of optimistic energy and the most honestly passionate guitar playing anyone is ever likely to hear)
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby Guest » Sat 4 Dec 2004 17:56 GMT

I hear you custom ! As a big guitar fan, and an avid player, I know what you mean. Joni Mitchell was just awarded some kind of life time achievement award, by the Governor General of Canada last month, for her contribution to music.

On to revolver though, I personally think it's overrated, and so do a few others I have spoken to ! Just listening to me new U2 as we speak, not bad, but have heard better from them.
Posted by:

Postby Dave » Thu 9 Dec 2004 15:21 GMT

Top five albums of all time? Almost as hard as the top album. Still, here's a few to be going on with:

U2 - The Joshua Tree. An album where every track stands up in its own right. (Although I must confess I prefer the live version of "Bullet The Blue Sky" on Rattle And Hum.)

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack. Fantastic (apart, probably, from "She Makes Me (Stormtrooper In Stilettos)"). For a three-track sequence, you'd be hard pushed to beat "Tenement Funster" (probably Roger Taylor's finest hour), "Flick Of The Wrist" and "Lily Of The Valley". And Brian May's extended solo in "Brighton Rock" will take some beating too.

Pink Floyd - Animals Great achievement though Dark Side Of The Moon undoubtedly was, I prefer this. Partly because of personal associations (travelling cross-country from Shropshire to Suffolk overnight on British Rail in 1980), but I think it's a really well crafted album which doesn't sound over-produced in the same way that

Neil Young - American Stars And Bars. I've never understood why it's not been released on CD - I was looking out for it back in '93 when he played at Finsbury Park, and even though most of the back catalogue has been released since then, Stars And Bars is still missing.

Beatles - The Beatles ("Double White Album", as it used to be called in our family). OK, so choosing a double album is a bit of a cheat, and it does mean that you end up with such "classics" :twisted: as "Don't Pass Me By" and "Mother Nature's Son". On the other hand, there's always "Yer Blues", "Helter Skelter", "Back In The USSR" and "Dear Prudence"...

A problem with drawing up a list of this kind is that you tend to think of groups which you like and then pick an album (I do, anyway) depending on what mood takes you at the time. So with U2 it could quite easily have been War or Achtung Baby; with Queen I might have gone for A Night At The Opera or Innuendo; and with the Beatles I could have chosen Sgt Pepper or Let It Be. Come back another day and I could easily have posted a very different list...
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Thu 16 Dec 2004 23:09 GMT

The problem with top five albums, top ten albums, top five singles, or ten or whatever is simply this.

Today's choice will change tomorrow. Albums are about what you feel right now. It is hard enough to discuss albums in top ten terms, because those of us who love music can't relate to a top ten, or even a top one hundred.

So may I suggest that this Music board be for the discussion of music, in all its genres. And for those who thrive on league tables, maybe a different board, or even a different web-home, might be appropriate.

Mike
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Sat 18 Dec 2004 14:15 GMT

for those who thrive on league tables, maybe a different board, or even a different web-home, might be appropriate

With one minor amrndment, I second the motion.

- 'for discussion of league tables, maybe....'

I'll admit to the possible existence of people who are interested in both music and the symptoms of the process by which recordings are marketed.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Mike » Sun 19 Dec 2004 03:35 GMT

Your amendment accepted.
You have both years and wisdom in hand :twisted:

The urgent question, is how do we handle an unmoderated forum?

Mike
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Kay » Sun 19 Dec 2004 08:19 GMT

The urgent question, is how do we handle an unmoderated forum?

None of the boards are unmoderated. We have four active site admins who can moderate all of the boards should it be necessary. Moderators are mainly there to start topics, keep discussion on topic, and to stimulate discussion.

We've had a few volunteers who've expressed an interest in moderating this new music board. I was hoping that someone who hasn't already got a board or boards of their own would come forward. Since that hasn't happened, I think the fairest thing to do is to give it to the first person who wanted to do it - Dave.

Hope you'll all agree, he's a good choice. :twisted:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby SSue » Sun 19 Dec 2004 08:41 GMT

Seconded :D

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby ruggie » Sun 19 Dec 2004 15:10 GMT

'....For he's a jolly good fellow
For he"s a jolly good fellow
And so say all of us!'

Thanks, Dave. Both for moderating and for reminding me of long-forgotten melodies.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby justajester » Sun 19 Dec 2004 15:35 GMT

I've been thinking about fav albums, and while I haven't yet made up my mind about the best all-time album, I would have to nominate the BoneyM one as the best Christmas one. We have over 50 christmas tapes and CD's and it is by far my favourite. So far anyway.
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Guest » Thu 30 Dec 2004 12:38 GMT

Some interesting replies to this thread so far, but no one seems to have mentioned the stranglers, the who, genesis :) Dave.....you mentioned Neil Young there, I must admit I was surprised, considering the other top album you mentioned there, that happen to be favourites of mine too.

Am listening to NY's greatest hits album 2004 at the mo, thanks to my wife, but it just isn't easy on the ears :D
Posted by:

Return to Music