It is currently Sun 29 Mar 2020 16:19 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Music

What sends shivers down your spine?

A place to discuss music.

What sends shivers down your spine?

Postby Dave » Sat 4 Dec 2004 19:24 GMT

Someone (not sure who now) claimed that music was the most immediate of the arts because it seized the emotions in a way that the visual arts can't.

There are certain bits of music - just a couple of bars in a song, the odd hook, or a particular classical piece - that really make my spine tingle. I'm thinking of things like:
    the intro to "Money For Nothing"
    Variation XVII from Rachmaninov's "Rhapsody On A Theme Of Paganini"
    the title track from "Welcome To The Pleasuredome" (fantastic for urban motorway driving)
    Clair De Lune by Debussy
    the instrumental break in "I'm Mandy, Fly Me"
    the outro to "All I Want Is You" by U2
    the last few bars of "Innuendo" by Queen

How about you?
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Sat 4 Dec 2004 20:45 GMT

The opening bars of "Phantom of the Opera"; the whole of Lakme: Flower duet (Delibes); Bruch's 1st violin concerto in G minor, op 26; the Dies Irae from Verdi's requiem; and "Kismet" as performed by Bond (on the cd Born). I can't even begin to name the more modern rock tunes that get me going but any Queen track, Zeplin, Cream, Sabbath, even Coldplay can start me off.
:)
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby CustomStrat » Sat 4 Dec 2004 21:04 GMT

The opening clarinet line and first few bars in Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue"; nothing evokes New York City more clearly.

The flute parts of "Prelude to the Afternoon of the Faun."

The oboe intro to "Le Sacre du Printemps."

Wagner's "Siegfreid's Funeral Music" (or maybe I've just seen Excalibur too many times...)

Both "Lenny" and "Riviera Paradise"; the jazzy instrumental tracks from Stevie Ray Vaughan's first and last albums. They're almost like eloquent delicate bookends to all the rowdy electric blues in between.
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby Mike » Sun 19 Dec 2004 04:04 GMT

Mark Knopfler's "Going Home" - theme from Local Hero.

I can't tell you why - it just does.

Mike
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Savannah_Alan » Sun 19 Dec 2004 06:06 GMT

Albinoni's adagio.

The introduction to Oscar Peterson's rendition of Georgia.

"Chi Mai" by Ennio Morricone (The theme to "The life and times of Lloyd George")

My late Father's solo while playing "One note samba" in a particular recording I have of him in the eighties.
I know you guys don't have access to this but it sure sends a shiver down my spine! (My Dad was a professional pianist of amazing ability).

Alan.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

MUSIC

Postby ho2rose » Sat 8 Jan 2005 23:44 GMT

MARIO LANZA SINGING GAURDIAN ANGEL , PAUL ROBSON SINGING GOING HOME AND OLD MAN RIVER
Posted by:
ho2rose

Postby SSue » Sat 8 Jan 2005 23:56 GMT

Hi Rose, and welcome to BE.

I see you've just joined us, and we welcome all newcomers. There's a great bunch of people here, and we have a very friendly atmosphere.

I think you may have posted, without first reading our guidelines. So in future, could you please not post using all capital letters, as it's classed as shouting (in computer language).

Hope you'll find plenty to keep you coming back, and look forward to seeing your posts.

Cheers SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby quine » Mon 10 Jan 2005 03:10 GMT

Favourite group Abba

Anything sung by Peter Karre but especially "The Prayer" from Les Miserables. He played the role of Jean Valjean for 3 years.

All of Andrew Lloyd Webber's music but especially "Memory" from Cats.

Massed pipes and drums playing "Scotland the Brave"

Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata"

A mixed selection I admit but I really like most music although I don't have much time for some of today's efforts!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
quine
Free member

Postby chris01 » Tue 28 Jun 2005 12:49 GMT

the song that sends shivers down my spine is "the eve of the war",the war of the worlds.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chris01
Free member

Return to Music