It is currently Tue 26 May 2020 21:36 GMT
Change font size

Music

Most embarrassing purchase?

A place to discuss music.

Most embarrassing purchase?

Postby Dave » Thu 9 Dec 2004 15:32 GMT

OK, come on... what have you bought in your time that you really cringe about?

For me it was my birthday present when I was seven years old. Anyone remember Neil Reid off Opportunity Knocks? Well, he recorded an album, and, er... I asked for it for my birthday :oops:

Other than that (which I hasten to stress I didn't buy anyway, and I was only six when I asked for it) I don't think I've bought anything that I'd be embarrassed about now - although Britannia Records did send me Dire Straits' On Every Street. I've listened to it twice and fallen asleep before it finished both times... :lol:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Fri 10 Dec 2004 19:48 GMT

Obviously everyone is too embarrassed to reply, Dave. :twisted:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Purley » Fri 10 Dec 2004 22:35 GMT

I read the post. I couldn't think of anything embarrasing I bought. I guess it all depends on a person's definition of embarrassing. Yes, I sorted through a load of old LPs - my son said they were worth money. I checked the Internet and seeing there were millions made - none of them were worth anything so I sent them to the thrift shop. I tried Vintage Vinyl and they weren't interested and - let me tell you - hundreds of LPs weigh a ton and I wasn't about to haul them down there and get $5 for the lot.

I had things that I certainly wasn't interested in listening to at present, but I can't say that I was embarrassed about them.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Kay » Sat 11 Dec 2004 11:05 GMT

I didn't buy much music when I was younger as I never had much money to spare. I used to record things off the radio.

I was also a big fan of TOTP and used to like to dance along to the music on the programme. This used to irritate my mate no end, as she used to like to sit and watch it. I guess that's mildly embarrassing looking back.

Oh yes, and I've just remembered an embarrassing purchase. I actually bought a Proclaimers album from Faisal's Offbeat in Peshawar, Pakistan. I thought it was the bees-knees at the time. I even ordered it specially. :oops:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Tue 14 Dec 2004 09:15 GMT

Dunno about embarrassing, but I had an LP which my flat mate found annoying - I used to play it to wake him up in the morning while I popped out to get him his nicotine fix in return for him getting breaksfast (Weetabix & dark soft brown sugar) prepared.

The Big Ben Banjo Band playing a medley of popular tunes, three per track. Have you ever heard Tiptoe Through the Tulips played by a banjo band?

During breakfast he'd play his LP - Deahann Carrol with André Prévin, Songs from Porgy & Bess. Must see if I can find that on CD.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Tue 14 Dec 2004 09:38 GMT

ruggie wrote:Have you ever heard Tiptoe Through the Tulips played by a banjo band?

Can't say I have! The closest I've come to something like that would probably be the bluegrass cover of U2's The Fly by The Joshua Trio...
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Tue 14 Dec 2004 18:26 GMT

Dire Straits' On Every Street. I've listened to it twice and fallen asleep before it finished both times...

To each their own, i suppose. I'm actually a big fan and have virtually all of the albums including On Every Street (in fairness, probably the worst or certainly one of them).

I've got lots of hugely embarrasing things depending on your point of view, but can't think of a single one to admit to at the moment
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

www.britishexpat.com - News, humour and information for Brits worldwide!

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby Dave » Wed 15 Dec 2004 02:42 GMT

Brothers In Arms is a classic, of course - and went a long way towards popularising the CD as a format, I seem to remember.

I quite liked Love Over Gold too and had it on tape for a while, but I've never got round to buying the CD. One day, perhaps.
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Wed 15 Dec 2004 19:54 GMT

This triggered a memory. Radio Luxembourg (?) Smash That Record, or something like that. DJ would play the request, followed by the sound of the record being smashed. (You can only do that with brittle 78s, not soft vinyl 45s and LPs, so that dates the program somewhere in the 1950s....)
There was usually some embarrassing or annoying reason for the listener to request the smash.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Thu 16 Dec 2004 02:53 GMT

I remember it too - so presumably when I heard it they were using a sound-effect rather than the record itself!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Thu 16 Dec 2004 14:22 GMT

I vaguely remember this too but I think it was on Radio 1. (Of course, they might've copied the idea from elsewhere.)

I think maybe it was DLT or Steve Wright. :?
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Thu 16 Dec 2004 21:51 GMT

Like Rich, I'm a big Straits fan. (Bit scary for both of us, finding stuff in common :wink: )

Arguably the best thing Mark Knopfler ever did was that part of the sound track for Local Hero which was covered by many, including the Shadows, but to the best of my knowledge he never released the full version. Bits, yes, but for the whole thing, I think you need the film.

"Going Home" could bring a tear to the eye of a needle.

But he can do fun too, and so well. Eg. his Why Aye, Man, for the last TV series of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet. (Not quite the last; they're doing a Christmas special, which they say is absolutely the last.)

Hmmm - maybe I've gone a wee bit OT. But the board is young yet. Topics will sort themselves out.

Mike
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Mike » Thu 16 Dec 2004 22:08 GMT

Fitivver, though I spent much of my adolesence under the blankets (we didn't have duvets in those days) listening to pirate radio, and copying to deck-to-deck, I feel obliged to answer the original question.

The most embarrassing was also the first. Little Arrows by Leapy Lee. Aka Lee Graham, subsequently banged up for GBH, end of career.

I'm ashamed to admit, though, that I once (in a blind panic), when challenged by a sadistic primary school teacher, blurted out that my "favourite record" was Up, Up and Away (in My Beautiful Balloon) by Val Doonican, because it was the first thing that came to my mind, probably because it was playing on the school bus that morning.

I never bought it, though 8)

Mike
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Sat 18 Dec 2004 14:21 GMT

:) I can certainly think of better recordings by Val Doonican. 'Mrs McGinty's Goat', or pig, or something.
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby CarolF » Thu 13 Apr 2006 02:19 GMT

ruggie wrote:Have you ever heard Tiptoe Through the Tulips played by a banjo band?

No, but have heard Tiny Tim (remember him anyone?) back in the 60's singing that little ditty. He sounded like a male soprano, personally I was'nt sure if his orbs had dropped at all LOL.

:twisted:
Posted by:
CarolF

Next

Return to Music