It is currently Fri 3 Apr 2020 10:10 GMT
Change font size

Music

Mozart

A place to discuss music.

Mozart

Postby Dave » Sat 11 Dec 2004 18:40 GMT

I find Mozart profoundly irritating.

Yes, I know he was an infant prodigy. Yes, I know his music's technically brilliant and possibly the acme of the neo-Classical Enlightenment tradition. And yes, I know he was a prolific composer despite dying at a tragically early age.

But... it's all so bland. It soothes the ear, but it doesn't grab the soul in the way that the Romantic composers' works can. And on the other hand it doesn't have the quality of "inevitability" that Bach's works have - the sense that you're listening to something that's unwinding in the only way it possibly could if it's going to sound right.

I once heard Paul Gambaccini talking about Paul McCartney, and saying that every time he saw him walk past he thought to himself "There goes Mozart." Says it all, really. (Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star from Mozart, Mary Had A Little Lamb from McCartney...)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sat 11 Dec 2004 18:45 GMT

I agree, Dave. But I'm a little confused by Gambaccini's comment. Did he intend it to be an insult or was it his idea of a compliment?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sat 11 Dec 2004 18:48 GMT

Sorry about the ambiguity! Gambaccini's comment was meant as a compliment - he's a big Macca fan.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Sat 11 Dec 2004 21:19 GMT

On the whole I agree. I find that Mozart often doesn't have the depth to hold my interest.

While being a huge fan of Bach for his technical depth (and I see the comment about the inevitability), for me the master is Beethoven.

Ah-soul, depth, technical prowess and a real challenge for the musician. Beautiful.
I've been working on his piano sonata no. 8 in C Minor (Pathetique) for about 6 months now. Still can't play it start to finish but I get such immense satisfaction from it just the same.

Alan.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby ruggie » Mon 13 Dec 2004 18:02 GMT

Made me think, that. I've just realised that the Mozart records I enjoy are the ones in which I'm admiring the musician, hence things like the clarinet quintet...
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Music