It is currently Mon 30 Mar 2020 07:36 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Music

Should bands get back......

A place to discuss music.

Should bands get back......

Postby spainboy » Tue 21 Dec 2004 17:05 GMT

Should bands get back and reform after a break of many years?
One the music channel MTV they have programme where they try to get a band back for one last gig. I have only seen two programmes, one with “A flock of seagulls” the other with “Frankie goes to Hollywood .Now both bands haven’t played for 20 years or more and hair has receded, belly’s paunched. Drugs taken, The seagulls did do one last show and were very well supported and loved by their fans. And while most of Frankie said Yes, Holly (who by the way is a successful artist now ) said no, which I feel was the best way. Yes they can all still play But there was a reason they stopped playing together, and the years have taken the edge off them. Unlike the Stones and such.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
spainboy
Free member

Postby Kay » Tue 21 Dec 2004 17:16 GMT

:shock:

Frankie goes to Hollywood .Now both bands haven’t played for 20 years or more

That makes me feel really old!

Back on topic. I'm inclined to agree with you. If, like the Stones, they've been successful all these years then fine. Otherwise, hmmm. It smacks of desperation or trying to make a bit of extra cash.

TV companies don't half roll out some rubbish at times. :roll:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Tue 21 Dec 2004 20:11 GMT

I suspect that, in most cases, it is an attempt to milk a bit more cash without doing anything new - on the part of the promoter as much as the band. Even if they are helping to recall a period not experienced by the current generation, it's not going to be worth much. The chances of all members of the band having got better with the years is zilch. It would make more sense to make a new group from a slection of members of several old bands - that coukd produce something original.

Which reminds me - it's not just TV companies that produce rubbish. Most of the videos associated with modern pop are rubbish. Did you see the one Mick Jagger and David Bowie made a while back? A lot more expensive to produce, probably, but it was in a different class.
Last edited by ruggie on Wed 22 Dec 2004 19:38 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Wed 22 Dec 2004 04:35 GMT

ruggie wrote:It would make more sense to make a new group from a selection of members of several old bands - that could produce something original.

The Traveling Wilburys being an excellent case in point. Tragic that Roy Orbison died when they'd scarcely got going. Compare their work with the Eagles' nauseating Hell Freezes Over album. (Sorry to any Eagles fans out there - you can't move very far in Thailand without hearing an Eagles song, and the attraction palls very quickly...)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu 30 Dec 2004 12:28 GMT

There is a show on VH1 called "bands reunited" where they track band members down round the world, and try and get them to play a one one nite only gig for their fans.

The ones have seen, it always seems to be the way they broke up, and all the ego, that always pisses them off, and stop the unification again, but in the end, they manage to jsut put it aside and play.

Oh.....an eagles fan here, and looking forward to seeing them again since I moved to canada, at the ACC in Toronto in March 2005. Saw them in the UK a few times, and once in the states.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:

Return to Music