It is currently Mon 30 Mar 2020 07:22 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Music

Quiz - Who's on my Wavelength?

A place to discuss music.

Quiz - Who's on my Wavelength?

Postby Mike » Thu 3 Feb 2005 03:13 GMT

No time limit until I say so.

No prizes of tatties or any other vegetable.

Just fun.

Name . . .

1. The lead singer with Amen Corner

2. The band who had a “Little Willie”

3. The comedian who began his career on banjo with the Humblebums

4. The lead singer with Lindisfarne, who went on to form Jack the Lad

5. The . . . . . . . . . . . Brothers, (not forgetting Quiver), who wrote Sailing for Rod Stewart, and come fae the Broch*

6. The band who launched a “Satellite”

7. The guitarist who wrote and performed the haunting “Going Home”, for the film Local Hero.

8. The Celtic supporter who made Milwaukee famous

9. The band who were urban spacemen, intelligent and free

10. The guitarist who wrote and performed Why Aye Man, for the last full series of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet

11. “Hi-Ho Silver, here come the Lone Ranger” was the theme tune for Boon, starring the late Michael Elphick. It did well in the charts. Writer and singer?

12. The vocalist on White on Blonde

13. The colour of the underwear, worn by the khaki personalities

14. The lead singer of Foreigner

15. Who left the cake out in the rain

16. The City of New Orleans – not the train, just name the singer

17. Never mind the band, just the lead singer who wrote and sung about a Belfast Child

18. Who found Elvis working in a chip shop

19. And who was her Dad

20. And who was her Mum

* Iain and Gavin, from Fraserburgh, in the North East of Scotland. ‘Nuff of a clue.

(Okay, if I get four PM'd answers, I'll call it a day.
Or maybe five . . . )

Mike
Glaikit. Bit nae sae glaikit as a gollach wi a blin ee.
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Dave » Thu 3 Feb 2005 03:51 GMT

Great quiz, Mike, and I'm ashamed that I don't know more of the answers.

There are a few where I'm sure I've heard the names, and others where I think my reaction will probably be an intrigued "Was he/she really?" but others again where I haven't got a clue. Good mix!
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby spainboy » Fri 4 Feb 2005 13:35 GMT

good quiz got headache now :roll:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
spainboy
Free member

Postby Purley » Fri 4 Feb 2005 14:54 GMT

I am sorry I don't know ANY of the answers!!!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby nooranismith » Fri 4 Feb 2005 15:06 GMT

I know at least one of the answers I gave was wrong - I was just listening to the relevant album last night and Belfast Child came on. Now I kick myself.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
nooranismith
Free member

Postby Mike » Thu 10 Feb 2005 20:28 GMT

Ye've had lang enough :twisted:

1. The lead singer with Amen Corner - Andy Fairweather Lowe

2. The band who had a “Little Willie” – The Sweet

3. The comedian who began his career on banjo with the Humblebums – Billy Connolly

4. The lead singer with Lindisfarne, who went on to form Jack the Lad – Alan Hull

5. The . . . . . . . . . . . Brothers, (not forgetting Quiver), who wrote Sailing for Rod Stewart, and come fae the Broch* - Sutherland (Iain and Gavin Sutherland from Fraserburgh. I hope they're getting the royalties they deserve . . . )

6. The band who launched a “Satellite” – The Hooters

7. The guitarist who wrote and performed the haunting “Going Home”, for the film Local Hero. – Mark Knopfler

8. The Celtic supporter who made Milwaukee famous – Rod Stewart

9. The band who were urban spacemen, intelligent and free – The Bonzo Dog Doodah Band

10. The guitarist who wrote and performed Why Aye Man, for the last full series of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet – Mark Knopfler (again)

11. “Hi-Ho Silver, here come the Lone Ranger” was the theme tune for Boon, starring the late Michael Elphick. It did well in the charts. Writer and singer? – Jim Diamond (Fae Muchalls, according to Ron!)

12. The vocalist on White on Blonde – Sharleen Spiteri (of Texas). (Previously with Altered Images, thanks Spainboy. We usually only think of Clare Grogan when we think of AI. Unless our minds wander to arms up cows bottoms :twisted: )

13. The colour of the underwear, worn by the khaki personalities – red (The Beautiful South - Rotterdam)

14. The lead singer of Foreigner – Lou Gramm (Mick Jones was the only Brit, and the drummer!)

15. Who left the cake out in the rain – Carly Simon

16. The City of New Orleans – not the train, just name the singer – Arlo Guthrie

17. Never mind the band, just the lead singer who wrote and sung about a Belfast Child – Jim Kerr (Simple Minds) (Ron's kicking himself :) )

18. Who found Elvis working in a chip shop – Kirsty McColl

19. And who was her Dad – Ewan McColl

20. And who was her Mum – Jean Newlove (I wouldn't have been surprised if someone had said Peggy Seegar. I am surprised no-one had a go :) )
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Mike » Thu 10 Feb 2005 20:49 GMT

That was my wee bit of self-indulgent fun. Thanks to you guys who played along.

On first examination, the results appear to be as follows

Ron - 6
Spainboy - 6.5
Dave - 7

Fitivver

I've decided to award Ron one extra point for telling me Jim Diamond came from Muchalls (or roon' aboot).

And Spainboy is worthy of half a point for pointing out the Sharleen Spiteri Altered Images connection.

Dave suffered from playing by the rules, just answering the questions, and not offering anything which might win Brownie points. So he gets an extra half for that. But he gets a half taken away for not knowing the Sutherland Brothers came fae the Broch. The half is not deducted for not knowing, it's deducted for not asking at home :twisted: .

So the final scores are

Ron - 7
Spainboy - 7
Dave - 7

Well done, guys!

I suppose we have to have a tie-break.

First to name the ex-Runrig drummer who is now a Member of the Scottish Parliament wins . . . . . my congratulations!

Mike
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Dave » Fri 11 Feb 2005 03:14 GMT

1. The lead singer with Amen Corner - Andy Fairweather Lowe

[kicks self]

4. The lead singer with Lindisfarne, who went on to form Jack the Lad – Alan Hull

[kicks self again]

15. Who left the cake out in the rain – Carly Simon

Eh??? :shock:

First to name the ex-Runrig drummer who is now a Member of the Scottish Parliament wins . . . . . my congratulations!

Tough one - I'm struggling to name any MSPs :oops:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby nooranismith » Fri 11 Feb 2005 08:46 GMT

I'm surprised I did as well as I did. I think you've been a little generous with my marks. Particularly the Jim Diamond bit. I don't think he was from Muchalls, just he bid there a while - and I'm not even certain it was him, it may have been another well known singer of his time. During the period I was your typical disaffected teenager and didn't really know much outside my own immediate musical interests and it wasn't my style. My vague recollection is he stayed a door or two down from an ex girlfriend there, but if I can give an example of a brush with the rich and famous and my own lack of focus:

I was into music, had a band, etc. and my girlfriend (not the same one) of the time said her cousin was in a group and they were coming to play Aberdeen, would I like to go. Well, I was going to a punk thing that night, so I said no, but I'd hang out with them that afternoon. So we went round Stonehaven, this guy had a wee son and was buying him all the expensive toys and bits and pieces so I twigged that his band must be doing well enough although I'd never really heard of them although I'd seen an album or two at my girlfriend's house - but you'd expect that.
The band? Genesis. I don't really remember which of them (guaranteed not Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins) but possibly Mike Rutherford, not sure.
The friends my girlfriend took to the concert had a great time. Backstage after show parties, the lot.
I was stuck in a basement concert getting nauseous from smoke and the stink of glue and vomit.

Don't rely too much on my Jim Diamond history (I think he's Glaswegian but bid there for work with the oil before becoming successful).
Posted by:
nooranismith
Free member

Postby Mike » Sat 12 Feb 2005 20:22 GMT

Ach, Ron, you deserve the bonus point for your honesty. I thought Jim Diamond was from Glasgow, but you presented such a confidant case . . . :)

Fitivver, I have a humble apology to make a propos the tie-break question. He's not an MSP, he is of course an MP. Pete Wishart, formerly with Runrig, now SNP MP for North Tayside.

So it's a three-way tie . . . :wink:

Mike
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Dave » Sun 13 Feb 2005 07:45 GMT

I'm still wondering how it was Carly Simon that left the cake out in the rain - I always thought it was "Someone..." but that Richard Harris sang about it (and, according to that nice Ms Google, Jimmy Webb provided the lyrics).

Different cake? Or did Carly subsequently own up to doing it? :lol:
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Tue 15 Feb 2005 22:59 GMT

This is why few people (yours truly excepted) offer quizzes off-top-of-head. And rightly so. It makes sense to buy quiz books, and pinch the contents, because the purveyors will have paid researchers. Or prep in advance, reducing Google to a smouldering pile of embers.

I was wrong, OK? It wasn't Carly Simon. I'm sorry. (I actually woke up in the wee small hours thinking f*ck - it wasn't her!)

And I know Jimmy Webb wrote it.

And nobody got a point for the question any roads up, so it made no difference to the result.

It wasn't Carly Simon, it was Carole King. Same first initial, easy mistake to make.

Okay, I'm sorry.

But now that I've apologised, and acknowledged Jimmy Webb wrote it, and grovelled a bit . . . .

It was Carole King's hit.

Mike
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Thu 17 Feb 2005 09:11 GMT

when we think of AI. Unless our minds wander to arms up cows bottoms )

That won't work. Down a shade.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby rockinjockscot » Sun 23 Sep 2007 07:26 GMT

Jim Diamond's a weegie (there or thereabouts). I first came across him when he took over as vocalist with the band (Gullyfoyle?) who had the residency in the bar at the ABC Bowl on George St. in Aberdeen. As I recall, they used to do a cracking cover of the Small Faces 'Tin Soldier'. Must have been the first half of the '70s. Nice guy at the time.

He's still on the go - released an album last year called "Souled & Healed" - not that good IMHO.

Cheers
Posted by:
rockinjockscot
Free member

Return to Music