It is currently Sun 29 Mar 2020 16:17 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Music

"Angels best British song of the past 25 years"

A place to discuss music.

"Angels best British song of the past 25 years"

Postby spainboy » Wed 9 Feb 2005 23:18 GMT

Robbie Williams' track Angels has won the prize for the best British song of the past 25 years at the Brit Awards

I think they got it right ,although not my choice it's a cracking well made song.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4249031.stm
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
spainboy
Free member

Postby HesitationKills » Thu 10 Feb 2005 04:49 GMT

and didn't he sack his songwriter soon afterwards?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
HesitationKills
Free member

Postby spainboy » Thu 10 Feb 2005 08:59 GMT

HesitationKills wrote:and didn't he sack his songwriter soon afterwards?

and it shows :twisted:
Posted by:
spainboy
Free member

Postby spainboy » Sun 26 Jun 2005 11:07 GMT

Been meaning to post the rest of the " best song in 25 years "

We Are The Champions - Queen
Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush
Leave Right Now - Will Young

Night Fever - Bee Gees
London Calling - Clash
Heroes - David Bowie
That's Entertainment - The Jam
I Don't Want To Talk About It - Rod Stewart
Look of Love - ABC
Golden Brown - The Stranglers
True - Spandau Ballet
Careless Whisper - George Michael
Holding Back The Years - Simply Red
Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel
Sacrifice - Elton John
Unfinished Sympathy - Massive Attack
Why - Annie Lennox
Fields of Gold - Sting
Kiss From A Rose - Seal
Wonderwall - Oasis
Yellow - Coldplay
Babylon - David Gray
Dry Your Eyes - The Streets

Any views?
Posted by:
spainboy
Free member

Postby JayneR » Sun 26 Jun 2005 12:28 GMT

Thanks Spainboy for giving my brain something to do on a lazy Sunday!

Are these the best British songs in 25 years? If so, how come the Bee Gees are in there, I always thought they were Aussies or maybe the song was written by a Brit. Whatever ...

I'm ashamed to say the only one I would have voted for is Simply Red - Holding Back the Years. It makes my toes curl and I get goosebumps from just thinking about it. Wonderfully powerful stuff that one! A close runner up for me would be Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer, although it doesn't move me in the slightest and I don't own a copy so thinking about it, I suppose it wouldn't be a close runner up, just a runner up!

Equally ashamed to say I've never heard of Will Young, ABC, David Gray or The Streets - am I showing my age or the fact that I've been out of England for too/so long?

I'm not really an expert in the matter cos I've never really been into that kind of music. Music for me has to touch my soul and, at the risk of being politically incorrect, I have to admit I've always been more into "black" music - blues, soul, reggae, jazz although I can't quite get into modern hip hop/rap. Don't want to go "off subject" but just by the way, has anyone ever heard of John Cooper Clarke or Linton Kwesi Johnson? They were doing "rap" way back in the 70s and JCC is a white Mancunian, from Salford I think. LKJ is a UK resident Jamaican. Good stuff.

Never could get my head around Kate Bush, definitely not your average wellie-wearing girl and a bit too airy fairy for me! and I suppose Queen's "We are the champions" rated high thanks to the football culture. Can't stand Oasis even though they're from Manchester but Annie Lennox is up there with the best, what a voice!

See ya! :D
Posted by:
JayneR
Free member

Postby spainboy » Sun 26 Jun 2005 12:52 GMT

John Cooper Clarke or Linton Kwesi Johnson
Now yer talking girl , both are still doing stuff.

Have a listen to these guys
Mark Lamarr

AndMARK RADCLIFFE
Posted by:
spainboy
Free member

Postby JayneR » Sun 26 Jun 2005 13:17 GMT

Cooooool!

Check out John Cooper Clarke www.cyberspike.com/clarke/ or through www.idler.co.uk (contributors).

Went to see THE WAILERS last night at the Ilha do Ermal Festival up near the Spanish border! A dream come true! I can hardly walk/talk today and my head is still reeling from all the dope I unwittingly / quite willingly inhaled! My son, my no. 1 hero after you OGE, and his mate came with me. It's a three day festivãl and the whole day yesterday was dedicated to reggae. http://festivais.no.sapo.pt/

Must check out the John Butler Trio who opened the night session. That guy can play the guitar! but I mean he can play the guitar!!! He played some excellent slide guitar and it was worth the 25€ entrance just to hear the first two minutes of him never mind the rest. I'm taking my tent next time.

Posted by:
JayneR
Free member

Postby JayneR » Sun 26 Jun 2005 13:34 GMT

Back again! Got me wellies on and have just been digging deeper into spainboy's links from previous posting!

Robert Johnson fans -
On Wednesday,29th June, Radio 2 begins a major six-part exploration of the legend and legacy of the Mississippi blues icon - Robert Johnson.

www.bbc.co.uk/music/bluessoulreggae/

Thanks spainboy!

Posted by:
JayneR
Free member

Return to Music