It is currently Sun 29 Mar 2020 16:21 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Music

Abba

A place to discuss music.

Abba

Postby SSue » Wed 2 Nov 2005 23:52 GMT

We watched a great programme on tv last night, all about Abba. They were brilliant, it's a shame that it all ended in tears, so to speak. Still ten years is a long time to survive in the music industry, especially as number one, so they did very well. The guys are still writing music, today.

Any more Abba fans among us?

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby Dave » Thu 3 Nov 2005 12:10 GMT

Not exactly a fan, but I do rate their music. I remember hearing an interview with some music student who was writing a PhD thesis on them. He reckoned that "Dancing Queen" in particular had an incredible density of "hooks". Think about it - to name just a few:

a) the piano glissando at the beginning

b) the "Daaaaa... daaa-daaaaa.... da-daa-da-daaa-daaaa...."

c) the staccato piano chords ("d-ding-d-ding-d-ding")

d) Agnetha and Annafrid's "Ooo-oo-oo-oooooo" just before they break into song

and that 's just in the introduction!

I went and saw Bjorn Again once about 15 years ago. They were great - not least because it was all very good humoured and tongue-in-cheek!
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby CarolF » Thu 13 Apr 2006 01:11 GMT

The Abba guys may be writing music still, but whatever happened to the girls? I know my husband was an Abba fan, not sure if he liked the music or just liked looking at the girls LOL. :D :wink:
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
CarolF

Postby SSue » Thu 13 Apr 2006 13:41 GMT

whatever happened to the girls?

I'm not game to mention names, as I could mix them up :roll: . The dark haired girl became almost a recluse (but in grand style :lol: ), it showed her walking alone for hours at a time, and she refused to give any interviews for years. The blonde carried on singing and did very well, but I don't think she toured.

Sue
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby Dave » Thu 13 Apr 2006 16:48 GMT

I think it was the other way round, Sue - I saw something on the telly in the UK last year where they'd actually managed to get an interview with Agnetha Faltskog (the blonde one). She'd been stalked by a very persistent fan, hence the reclusiveness.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby SSue » Fri 14 Apr 2006 09:44 GMT

I think it was the other way round, Sue

:roll: Well I did say that I could get them mixed up. and I did :lol:

Sue
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Return to Music